ESF Fights Back to Defeat Alfred State
Zane Paradies's 14 points fuel the Mighty Oaks
Despite finding themselves down 14 points early in the second half, the Mighty Oaks fought their to defeat the Pioneers of Alfred State, 74-67, Jan. 17 at the Institute of Technology at Syracuse Central.
Most of the first half was tight, with the teams exchanging baskets and neither leading by more than four points. Sophomores Dan Treadwell and Ryan Caldwell led the charge early for the Mighty Oaks as they accounted for 14 of ESF's 30 first-half points. Alfred State finished the first half on a 12-3 run, including a basket right at the buzzer, to lead the Mighty Oaks 42-30 at the half.
At the start of the second half, Alfred State carried on its momentum, going up by as many as 14 points.
The Mighty Oaks then turned up their defense, holding the visitors scoreless for six minutes. Senior Suthod Young was a steady presence on the defensive end, stifling the Pioneers' interior game. Freshman Zane Paradies came off the bench and sank two crucial three-point baskets to give ESF the lead with six minutes remaining in the game. Combining a stout defense, offensive execution and crucial free-throw conversions, the Mighty Oaks were able to hold on to get the victory and avenge a loss to the Pioneers earlier in the season.
Young had a double-double with 19 points and 15 rebounds. Treadwell tallied 14 points and seven assists. Paradies scored a career-high 14 points including four three-pointers.
The men's basketball team take the court again versus SUNY Canton at SRC Arena Jan. 19. The two teams will participate in the kickoff of the Coaches vs. Cancer "Suits and Sneakers" week
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210