Oakie’s Mascot Madness Run Ends
ESF mascot exits tourney in round 2
Oakie Acorn's run for Mascot Madness glory ended as he was edged out by SUNY New Paltz's Hugo the Hawk in Round 2.
Oakie, the mascot for ESF's Mighty Oaks sports teams, was a ninth seed going into the competition. In Round 1, he defeated both SUNY Delhi and Ulster Community College. In Round 2, he received 48.23 percent of the vote against Hugo, the 2013 champion.
The online contest pits SUNY mascots against each other in a standard single-elimination bracket of four divisions, organized into New York regions, with five rounds.
Forty SUNY campuses representing more than 650 athletic teams and more than 360,000 students are competing for the title of New York's favorite SUNY mascot.
The competition includes five rounds of voting and runs through April 8. The winning college will take home the traveling Mascot Madness trophy from SUNY.
Oakie not only received support from the ESF community of students, faculty, staff and alumni, but also from a number of community organizations, local sports teams such as the Syracuse Chiefs and Silver Knights, and Syracuse University.
You can follow Oakie on Twitter at @ESFOakie or on Facebook at Oakie Acorn for updates on campus events. Voting for the remaining mascots continues through April 8.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210