Saturday, May 25, 2013
Subscribe (News reader required)
- ESF, Upstate Receive Technology Accelerator Award
- ESF College Foundation Honors Miller for Teaching Achievement
- Fabius-Pompey HEROS Science Club Partners with ESF
- ESF Cheers for Student Athletes
- ESF Alumnus Inducted into NGA Hall of Fame
- Germain's Research Focuses on Working Forests
- ESF Student Named Scholar Athlete
- College Begins Expansion of Centennial Hall
- Loon Race, Guide Boat Celebrate Summer at Newcomb Campus
- High-tech, Remote-controlled Vessels Gather Data in Lake Ontario
- And They're Off: Graduates Move on to New Lives
- Honoree Sets Path for Grads to Improve Their World
Limburg Honored as Exemplary Researcher
Fisheries ecologist recently published in Bioscience
Dr. Karin Limburg, a fisheries ecologist in the ESF Department of Environmental and Forest Biology (EFB), has received the College's 2010 Exemplary Researcher award.
The award was presented to Limburg April 14 as part of ESF Spotlight Symposium that focuses on student research. The award is given annually and recognizes a faculty member with exemplary research activity, publication record and graduate/undergraduate student research programs.
Limburg, an associate professor, joined the EFB faculty in August 1999. In nominating her for the award, EFB Chair Donald J. Leopold described her as "one of the most productive researchers at ESF," including grants received, number of students trained, post-doctoral associates and visiting scientists supported, and papers published and highly cited.
Leopold said Limburg's scientific research is cited more often than any other faculty member in EFB. Her most recent work focuses on the decline of fish in the Atlantic Ocean. Her work on the subject was published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society and in BioScience.
Limburg is on the board of the U.S. Society for Ecological Economics and is the founding co-editor of Ecological Economics Reviews.