Heaven and Earth Come to ESF
Moonlighting Series looks at relationship between religion and science
The relationship between religion and science will be discussed at ESF 7 to 9 p.m. Oct. 21 in Moon Library on the ESF campus.
"Heaven and Earth: The Relationship Between Religion and Science" will kick off this year's Moonlighting series. Moonlighting is a series of informal discussions, debates and interviews hosted by ESF President Quentin Wheeler. Joining him for a discussion on science and religion will be Father George Coyne, a member of the LeMoyne College faculty and former Vatican astronomer, and Dr. Warren Allmon, director of the Paleontological Research Institution in Ithaca and professor in the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Cornell University.
Coyne is a Jesuit priest, astronomer, and former director of the Vatican Observatory and head of the observatory's research group which is based at the University of Arizona in Tucson, Arizona. Since January 2012, he has served as McDevitt Chair of Religious Philosophy at Le Moyne College in Syracuse.
As director since 1992 of the Paleontological Research Institution, Allmon has led the organization in its renovation and expansion, including the design and construction of the Museum of the Earth. In addition to his technical research, he writes and speaks frequently on the history of science, evolution and creationism, natural history museums and collections, and Earth science education.
Moonlighting is free and open to the general public. Those attending are asked to register.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210