Weekend Sports Recap for Jan. 23, 24
Indoor track begins, basketball team loses to Albany Pharmacy
The Mighty Oaks kicked off their 2016 indoor track season Jan. 23; the following day, the men's basketball lost a conference game for the first time this season.
The indoor track season got underway Jan. 23 at the Hamilton College Invitational. On the men's side, the Mighty Oaks fielded participants in almost every event:
- Senior Nick Giordano finished fourth out of 27 sprinters in the 400-meter dash with a time of 53.39. Junior Ryan Mackerer placed 12th in the event with a time of 55.55.
- Junior Michael Persson finished in the middle of the pack, 18th (4:51) out of 36 runners in the competitive one-mile race.
- Freshman Ethan Appelgren finished 10th in the 5,000-meter run with a time of 18:08.
- In the 4x800-meter relay, the squad consisting of freshman Sean Satchwell, seniors Dan McGraw and Christian Freeman, and Giordano placed seventh out of nine teams with a time of 9:03.
- Freshman Jake Finkelstein placed 16th out of 24 in the men's shot put with a distance of 10.30m.
For the women's team, freshman cross-country All-American Marissa Lathrop had a strong fourth-place finish (2:32) in the women's 800-meter run in her first collegiate indoor meet. Additional results for the women's team included:
- Junior Andrea Szewczyk placed fourth (20:17) in the 5,000-meter run.
- The Mighty Oaks fielded two teams in the 4x800-meter relay; they finished fifth and sixth. The Mighty Oaks also had a strong showing in the one-mile race with four ESF runners finishing in the top 20.
- Senior Nicole Madden placed 15th overall in the shot put with a distance of 7.20m.
Both squads will be back in action Jan. 30 at the SUNY Brockport Golden Eagle Meet.
In men's basketball, on Jan. 24, the Mighty Oaks dropped a close game, 58-57, on the road to HVIAC rival Albany Pharmacy. Junior Ryan Caldwell finished the game with 17 points and 13 rebounds, his sixth double-double of the season. Sophomore Tyler Kuhn came off the bench and chipped in 15 points along with 12 rebounds in only 27 minutes of play.
This was the Mighty Oaks first conference loss of the season. They fall to 3-12 overall, 1-1 in the HVIAC conference. The team faces Pratt Institute Jan. 31 in a home conference game.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210