Weekend Sports Recap for Jan. 23, 24
Indoor track begins, basketball team loses to Albany Pharmacy
The Mighty Oaks kicked off their 2016 indoor track season Jan. 23; the following day, the men's basketball lost a conference game for the first time this season.
The indoor track season got underway Jan. 23 at the Hamilton College Invitational. On the men's side, the Mighty Oaks fielded participants in almost every event:
- Senior Nick Giordano finished fourth out of 27 sprinters in the 400-meter dash with a time of 53.39. Junior Ryan Mackerer placed 12th in the event with a time of 55.55.
- Junior Michael Persson finished in the middle of the pack, 18th (4:51) out of 36 runners in the competitive one-mile race.
- Freshman Ethan Appelgren finished 10th in the 5,000-meter run with a time of 18:08.
- In the 4x800-meter relay, the squad consisting of freshman Sean Satchwell, seniors Dan McGraw and Christian Freeman, and Giordano placed seventh out of nine teams with a time of 9:03.
- Freshman Jake Finkelstein placed 16th out of 24 in the men's shot put with a distance of 10.30m.
For the women's team, freshman cross-country All-American Marissa Lathrop had a strong fourth-place finish (2:32) in the women's 800-meter run in her first collegiate indoor meet. Additional results for the women's team included:
- Junior Andrea Szewczyk placed fourth (20:17) in the 5,000-meter run.
- The Mighty Oaks fielded two teams in the 4x800-meter relay; they finished fifth and sixth. The Mighty Oaks also had a strong showing in the one-mile race with four ESF runners finishing in the top 20.
- Senior Nicole Madden placed 15th overall in the shot put with a distance of 7.20m.
Both squads will be back in action Jan. 30 at the SUNY Brockport Golden Eagle Meet.
In men's basketball, on Jan. 24, the Mighty Oaks dropped a close game, 58-57, on the road to HVIAC rival Albany Pharmacy. Junior Ryan Caldwell finished the game with 17 points and 13 rebounds, his sixth double-double of the season. Sophomore Tyler Kuhn came off the bench and chipped in 15 points along with 12 rebounds in only 27 minutes of play.
This was the Mighty Oaks first conference loss of the season. They fall to 3-12 overall, 1-1 in the HVIAC conference. The team faces Pratt Institute Jan. 31 in a home conference game.
- Dr. Jack Manno, Cindy Squillace Honored with Racial Justice Award
- Mighty Oaks Hoops Play at the Dome
- ESF Celebrates Darwin and Wallace Feb. 15
- ESF Joins SUNY Puerto Rico Task Force
- Dr. Myron Mitchell Appointed to EPA Advisory Committee
- ESF, SU Celebrate Darwin’s Birthday with ‘Collecting Evolution’
- Smile! You’re On Canid Camera
- ESF, SU Announce Partnerships with Initial Focus on Water and Environment
- ESF Enhances Institutionalization of Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath
- Governor Unveils Plan to Protect N.Y. Lakes from Harmful Algal Blooms
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural Disasters
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against Disease
- Hurricanes Hit, so Ph.D. Candidate Gets to Work in Puerto Rico
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210