Oakie Advances to Round 2 in SUNYís Mascot Madness
ESF mascot hopes to kick SUNY Cantonís kangaroo to the curb
ESF's Oakie the Acorn has advanced to round 2 in SUNY's 4th Annual Mascot Madness competition.
The mascot of the Mighty Oaks took down opponents from Oswego and Orange County Community College in the first round
Voting in Round 2 is open until noon Thursday, March 17. In previous contests, Oakie has been unable to advance passed Round 2.
The annual online competition includes five rounds of voting and runs through March 30. The winning college will take home the traveling Mascot Madness trophy from SUNY.
Mascots were randomly placed into four SUNY regions and ranked by the number of athletic teams each mascot represents, which determined which mascots compete against each other in each round.
Thirty-nine SUNY campuses representing more than 650 athletic teams and more than 360,000 students are competing for the title of New York's favorite SUNY mascot.
The competition is based on a series of questions posed to the mascots prior to the tournament, including mascots' prior work experience, most embarrassing moment, favorite part of New York state, favorite TV show and favorite class.
Seed rankings are based on the number of teams that represent a particular campus, with enrollment data used to break any ties. Oakie currently represents nine men's and women's teams in ESF's growing athletics program.
You can follow Oakie on Twitter at @ESFOakie and on Facebook at Oakie Acorn.
More ESF News
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AECís McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210