AICís Artists-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
Exhibit of Casey Landerkin and Mariana Trofimova set for Earth Week
The work of artists Casey Landerkin and Mariana Trofimova will be exhibited on the ESF campus as part of Earth Week celebrations.
Landerkin and Trofimova spent part of the summer as artists-in-residence at ESF's Adirondack Interpretive Center (AIC) at the college's Newcomb Campus. Throughout the summer, the artists worked onsite, creating pieces inspired by the local landscape. Their work was on display all summer at the AIC and will be on display in 110 Moon Library as part of Earth Week, April 18-22.
Landerkin and Trofimova will be in attendance at the opening reception noon to 1:30 p.m. April 19 in 110 Moon Library.
Landerkin is an artist/illustrator from Marcellus, New York. After graduating from Syracuse University in 2010 with a BFA in illustration, Landerkin traveled and worked as an artist focused on studying the many aspects of the natural world. Although she is interested in all facets of the creative process, Landerkin's main focus during her residency with the AIC was the tradition of plein air painting, and how observing nature in an immersive sense informs work done inside the studio.
Trofimova is a traditionally-trained fine artist and received an MFA in printmaking from Pratt Institute in 2007.
The body of work she created in residency is focused on life and death, and the seven deadly sins. "Somehow dead roots were glaring at me and calling me," she said. "They all have their personalities and characters. The idea of the seven deadly sins, or human nature, or the feeling that evoke the worst in us, such as wrath, gluttony, lust, is on my mind a lot. I am interested in anthropology of a human, and that no matter where you come from, you have the same feelings and emotions. The AIC grounds were absolutely beautiful and alive, as life."
Recent ESF News
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Studentís ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AECís McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210