SUNY-ESF Honored for Community Service
2007 Presidentís Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll
SYRACUSE - ESF was recognized for its exemplary student community service and service-learning programs by being named to the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for 2007.
The Honor Roll is a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service, and is sponsored by the President's Council on Service and Civic Participation, the USA Freedom Corps, and the U.S. Departments of Education, and Housing and Urban Development.
This is the second time the college was placed on the honor roll, as the college was listed in 2006.
ESF's Service Learning Initiative has been improving the student experience and contributing to local communities. The college continues to expand the scope of its service learning initiative with increased community involvement.
Faculty use service learning to give students hands-on experience and community service helps students clarify their career goals by affirming their chosen path or introducing them to new possibilities.
Students contributed more than 65,000 hours through the service learning initiative and community service in 2006-2007.
Launched in 2006, the Community Service Honor Roll is the highest federal recognition a school can achieve for its commitment to service-learning and civic engagement. Honorees for the award were chosen based on a series of selection factors including scope and innovativeness of service projects, percentage of student participation in service activities, incentives for service, and the extent to which the school offers academic service-learning courses.
More ESF News
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AECís McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210