ESF Student Finalist for Olmsted Scholar Award
Kathryn Chesebrough recognized for academic excellence
Kathryn Chesebrough, a recent graduate of the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), was a finalist for the National Olmsted Scholar award. The award is presented by the Landscape Architecture Foundation (LAF).
A May 2016 graduate, Chesebrough of Binghamton, New York, earned a bachelor of landscape architecture degree.
While at ESF, her studio projects included "hope+certainty," strategies for biodiversity in blighted communities, and "work+spectacle," bringing events and creating a working landscape at a historic site.
She led the Red Cup Project in picking 17,500 party cups off university neighborhood streets. Some of the cups were used to create spheres that were displayed on campus to raise awareness for sustainability and environmental issues with art. Her off-campus thesis focused on the dynamics of an innovative school being developed by an international artist in a favela of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Chesebrough will be working for a landscape architecture firm in Ithaca, New York, following graduation.
The Olmsted Scholars Program is the premier national award and recognition program for landscape architecture students. Award finalists receive $1,000. An independent jury of leaders in the landscape architecture profession selected the winners and finalists from the group of 45 graduates and 32 undergraduates who were nominated by their faculty for being exceptional student leaders.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210