Mighty Oaks Women Open Soccer Season with Win
Junior Shannon Gordinier nets two goals for ESF
The Mighty Oaks women's soccer team started the season off with a convincing win, 3-1, over the Mustangs of Morrisville State College Sept. 1 at Drake Field.
Shannon Gordinier opened up scoring for ESF only four minutes into the game when she broke past a Mustang defender and chipped the ball into the back corner of the net. Gordinier, who is the 100-meter sprint star for the Mighty Oaks track and field team, leveraged her speed on several occasions to create scoring chances for ESF.
The Mustangs tied the game, 1-1, at the 23rd minute when freshman Ashley Capron punched the ball past keeper Kiki Hilmer off a rebound. The Mighty Oaks continued on the attack and, at the 33rd minute, junior Megan Herbst placed a perfect ball for streaking junior Lauren Archer whose shot sailed just wide of the goal.
With five minutes remaining in the first half, senior Heather Carl responded with one of her patent long ball goals, this time a shot from more than 25 yards out. The Mighty Oaks went into half time with a 2-1 lead.
ESF's offense attack continued throughout the second half. The Mighy Oaks took 20 shots in the game. Gordinier scored again at the 60th minute, blasting the ball at the top of the box past the Mustang goal keeper. Herbst once again set up a perfect pass, creating the scoring opportunity for Gordinier.
"We are happy with the results tonight. There is room to improve. It is tremendous to have Shannon back. She worked hard last year to come back from her injury. We look forward to this weekend's Barkeater's Cup," said Head Coach Dan Ramin.
The team will play Paul Smith's College Sept. 4 in the annual Barkeater's Cup game.
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210