XC Men Repeat as Conference Champs; Women 2nd
Up next: National Championships Nov. 10-11
The Mighty Oaks men's cross-country team repeated as league champions Oct. 30 as they won the 2016 Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Men's Cross Country Championship race at the Hudson Valley Sportsdome in Milton, New York. The women's team finished second.
Led by the overall individual champion, senior Michael Perrson, ESF finished with eight runners in the top 10. Perrson improved on his third-place time last year by nearly 50 seconds, covering the 8K course in 28:12. It was the fastest time on the track in the three years the championship has been contested at the Sportsdome. Perrson was also named 2016 Runner of the Year and led the field of 56 runners across eight teams.
Following Perrson for ESF were juniors Dana Carris (28:36, 3rd) and Ryan Shaw (29:01, 5th) and sophomores Nick Girodano (29:20, 6th) and Ethan Appelgren (29:23, 7th) rounding out the scoring five, with just 1:12 separating the Mighty Oaks' first and fifth runners.
Albany Pharmacy finished in second place overall while Pratt Institute came in third.
The following Mighty Oaks were named to the 2016 All-HVIAC Men's Cross Country Team:
In the women's race, Albany Pharmacy had the top three runners and won the championship. ESF placed in the following four spots to secure a second-place finish. The Mighty Oaks were led by sophomore Marissa Lathrop's fourth-place finish with a time of 21:56. Senior Samantha Hollister finished fifth (22:47) followed by freshman Eden Zickler (6th - 22:53) and sophomore Erin Cuddihy (7th - 23:01). Junior Emily Verbeck was ninth (23:33).
Zickler was named the HVIAC 2016 Rookie of the Year. The following runners were named to the 2016 All-HVIAC Women's Cross Country Team:
"I am so proud and humbled to be this team's coach. The pride, determination, sportsmanship and character both teams displayed today - and everyday - is what makes these ladies and gentleman an absolute pleasure to coach," said Cross-Country Head Coach John View. View was named the 2016 HVIAC Men's and Women's Cross Country Coach of the Year.
Both the women's and men's teams will complete at the USCAA Cross Country National Championship in Virginia Beach, Virginia, Nov. 10-11.
- Dr. James Gibbs Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- ESF Students Place Second in SU ‘Impact Prize’ Competition
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210