Men's Hoops Team Picks up Win vs Johnson College
Mighty Oaks No. 17 in USCAA Division II Coaches Poll
The Mighty Oaks men's basketball team picked up a big win on the road Dec. 8 vs Johnson College, 88-68, to improve to 5-4.
The Jaguars jumped out to an early 10-4 lead but juniors Tyler Kuhn and Cory Rogers helped the Mighty Oaks get back into the game and ESF climbed to a 16-13 lead with 10 minutes remaining in the first half. A layup by Ryan Caldwell gave ESF a 38-32 lead to end the half.
In the second half, ESF's defense stymied the Jaguars early on as the Mighty Oaks maintained a 51-43 lead midway through the period. The Jaguars put on the full-court press and went on a furious run to get within one point, 61-60, with eight minutes remaining. A basket by freshman Ben Russ IV, followed by multiple baskets by Caldwell and senior Jared Bard, helped the Mighty Oaks pull ahead 69-60. A frustrated Jaguar squad picked up three technical fouls in the final two minutes. The Mighty Oaks converted free throws and maintained poise to come away with a 20-point win, 88-68.
Caldwell led ESF with 30 points and 17 rebounds. The senior has been red hot this season, averaging close to 22 points and 12 rebounds per game while shooting the ball at an efficient 55 percent. Bard added 15 points and Russ scored 15 points off the bench as well. Kuhn hauled down 13 rebounds for the Mighty Oaks.
Earlier in the week, the Mighty Oaks faced Penn State Wilkes-Barre in a makeup game. ESF fell 74-69. Caldwell led ESF in scoring with 17 points and 14 rebounds. Senior Dan Treadwell scored 11 points.
The Mighty Oaks improve to 5-4 overall and are ranked No. 17 nationally in the USCAA Division II Coaches Poll. The squad has the week off for finals and will be back in action vs Villa Maria College of Buffalo Dec. 19.
More ESF News
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize Competition
- 4 ESF Students Honored as Storyfest 2018 Finalists
- Student-Athletes Honored at Annual Banquet
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210