Basketball Team Picks Up Road Win in Brooklyn
Defeat Pratt for fourth conference win of the season
The Mighty Oaks men's basketball team traveled to Brooklyn and came away with a hard-fought win over Pratt Institute, 83-74.
The Mighty Oaks jumped out to a quick 7-2 lead early in the game. The Cannoneers pulled within one, 14-13, then went on a 15-4 run over the next six minutes to surge ahead 34-22. ESF countered with 11 unanswered points to close the gap 36-33 at the half. Senior Ryan Caldwell led all ESF scorers at the half with 13 points and six rebounds.
The Mighty Oaks opened the second half on a 17-4 run and held Pratt to just 1-for-12 shooting and took a 54-46 lead. Pratt fought back, hitting five three-pointers to regain the lead, 63-61. A basket by junior Cory Rogers then gave ESF the lead for good as the Mighty Oaks held off another Pratt run and sealed the win from the free throw line.
ESF shot a scorching 71 percent (20 of 28) from the field in the second half. Caldwell led ESF with 26 points and 12 rebounds. Senior Dan Treadwell added 18 points and junior Tyler Kuhn contributed a double-double, with 12 points, 11 rebounds. ESF had no answer for Pratt senior forward Ari Grant who led his team with 29 points and 17 rebounds.
Pratt falls to 5-9 with the loss, 2-4 in HVIAC conference play.
The following day, the Mighty Oaks faced two-time defending USCAA national champions Berkeley College. The Knights, who are 22-0 this season and have won 45 straight games dating from last season, kept their winning streak alive with a 104-70 win over ESF. Caldwell led the way for ESF with 16 points. The Knights had five players score double digits, led by freshman Paul Johnson's 17 points.
ESF's record stands at 10-9, 4-3 in HVIAC conference play. The team has two regular-season games remaining, at Davis College Feb. 8, and versus the College of New Rochelle Feb. 11, senior day.
- ESF Students Place Second in SU ‘Impact Prize’ Competition
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210