ESF’s Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
Oakie the Acorn, the mascot of ESF's Mighty Oaks athletic teams, is one of 37 SUNY mascots competing in SUNY's Fifth Annual Mascot Madness beginning today.
All mascots were randomly placed into four SUNY regions and ranked by the number of athletic teams each mascot represents, which determined which mascots compete against each other in each round.
ESF's Oakie is up against SUNY Brockport when voting begins March 14.
The competition includes five rounds of voting and runs through April 5. People can vote for Oakie once every 12 hours.
The winning college will take home the traveling Mascot Madness trophy from SUNY.
Last year, Oakie defeated mascots from SUNY Oswego and Orange Community College to advance to Round 2. However, Oakie fell to Canton's Roody Roo in the second round of competition.
The competition is based on a series of questions posed to the mascots prior to the tournament, including mascots' favorite campus hangout, their desired superpower, and favorite pizza topping.
Seed rankings are based on the number of teams that represent a particular campus, with enrollment data used to break any ties. Oakie currently represents 10 men's and women's teams in ESF's growing athletics program.
The intercollegiate athletics program at ESF can trace its roots all the way back to 1912, the second year of the college's existence, when students organized a Forestry Club on campus that has sponsored an intercollegiate timber sports team every year since.
Today, students can compete on in soccer, golf, cross country, timber sports (Woodsmen's Team), basketball, track and bass fishing. The Mighty Oaks are a member of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association.
You can follow Oakie on Twitter at @ESFOakie and on Facebook at ESFOakieAcorn.
- Oakie Flies into Final Four
- Oakie Continues to Dance in Mascot Madness
- ESF Professor’s Book Wins Harold and Margaret Sprout Award
- Oakie Advances to Round 2 in SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- ESF-Le Moyne Class Focuses on Environmental Ethics
- ESF Joins Partners to Create Climate-Resilient Forest on Tug Hill
- ESF’s Oakie the Acorn Enters SUNY’s Mascot Madness
- Travis Lecture Focuses on Role of Coyote in Northeastern Forests
- ESF Nordic Skier Competes in World University Games
- Academics, Athletics, Affordability Lure Soccer Captain to ESF
- Daily Adventures Mark Trip to South America
- Student from Italy Finds Motivation at ESF
- Diverse Backgrounds Help 2 Grads Connect with Prospective Students
- Ryan Caldwell Earns First Team All-American Honors
- Mighty American Chestnut Poised for Return to America’s Forests
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210