Oakie Continues to Dance in Mascot Madness
ESF mascot proves SUNY Albany’s dane isn’t so great
ESF's Oakie the Acorn topped SUNY Albany's Damien Dane to advance to round 3 in SUNY's 5th Annual Mascot Madness competition. This is the farthest Oakie has gotten in the annual mascot matchup.
The mascot of the Mighty Oaks took down SUNY Brockport's Ellsworth Eagle in the first round.
Voting in Round 3 is open until 4 p.m. Monday, March 27.
Votes can be made from any email address every 12 hours, according to the rules established by SUNY.
The annual online competition includes five rounds of voting and runs through April 5. The winning college will take home the traveling Mascot Madness trophy from SUNY.
Mascots were randomly placed into four SUNY regions and ranked by the number of athletic teams each mascot represents, which determined which mascots compete against each other in each round.
Last year, Oakie defeated mascots from SUNY Oswego and Orange Community College to advance to Round 2. However, Oakie fell to Canton's Roody Roo in the second round of competition.
The competition is based on a series of questions posed to the mascots prior to the tournament, including mascots' favorite campus hangout, their desired superpower, and favorite pizza topping.
Seed rankings are based on the number of teams that represent a particular campus, with enrollment data used to break any ties. Oakie currently represents 10 men's and women's teams in ESF's growing athletics program.
The intercollegiate athletics program at ESF can trace its roots all the way back to 1912, the second year of the college's existence, when students organized a Forestry Club on campus that has sponsored an intercollegiate timber sports team every year since.
Today, students can compete on in soccer, golf, cross country, timber sports (Woodsmen's Team), basketball, track and bass fishing. The Mighty Oaks are a member of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association.
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
- Snails Bred in ESF Lab Help Species Crawl Back from Brink of Extinction
- ‘Extinct’ Floreana Tortoise Species Could Return to Galapagos
- U.S. News Ranks ESF among the Best
- LA, EFB Students Delve Into Harriet Tubman’s History
- MLA Student Receives ASLA Honors
- ESF Co-Sponsors ‘Drive and Shine’
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210