The Little Acorn that Could
Oakie makes it to championship round of Mascot Madness
ESF's Oakie the Acorn is proving to be the Cinderella story of SUNY's 5th Annual as he enters the championship round Monday against SUNY Geneseo's Victor E. Knight.
Oakie defeated mascots from Brockport, Albany, FIT and Farmingdale proving that it's not the size of the school that's important, but the spirit within the college community.
This is the first time Oakie has advanced past Round 2 and he has done so with overwhelming support from students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends of ESF.
Championship voting opens Monday at noon and runs until 4 p.m. Wednesday, April 5.
Anyone can vote in Mascot Madness. Voters will be asked to enter their email and then confirm their vote. Votes can be cast every 12 hours, according to the rules established by SUNY.
The winning college will take home the traveling Mascot Madness trophy from SUNY.
Mascots were randomly placed into four SUNY regions and ranked by the number of athletic teams each mascot represents, which determined which mascots compete against each other in each round.
Seed rankings are based on the number of teams that represent a particular campus, with enrollment data used to break any ties. Oakie currently represents 10 men's and women's teams in ESF's growing athletics program.
The intercollegiate athletics program at ESF traces its roots all the way back to 1912, the second year of the college's existence, when students organized a Forestry Club on campus that has sponsored an intercollegiate timber sports team every year since.
Today, students can compete on in soccer, golf, cross country, timber sports (Woodsmen's Team), basketball, track and bass fishing. The Mighty Oaks are a member of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association.
- ERE Professor Focuses Sabbatical on GIS Technology
- Dr. Jack Manno, Cindy Squillace Honored with Racial Justice Award
- Mighty Oaks Hoops Play at the Dome
- ESF Celebrates Darwin and Wallace Feb. 15
- ESF Joins SUNY Puerto Rico Task Force
- Dr. Myron Mitchell Appointed to EPA Advisory Committee
- ESF, SU Celebrate Darwin’s Birthday with ‘Collecting Evolution’
- Smile! You’re On Canid Camera
- ESF, SU Announce Partnerships with Initial Focus on Water and Environment
- ESF Enhances Institutionalization of Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath
- Governor Unveils Plan to Protect N.Y. Lakes from Harmful Algal Blooms
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural Disasters
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against Disease
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210