The Little Acorn that Could
Oakie makes it to championship round of Mascot Madness
ESF's Oakie the Acorn is proving to be the Cinderella story of SUNY's 5th Annual as he enters the championship round Monday against SUNY Geneseo's Victor E. Knight.
Oakie defeated mascots from Brockport, Albany, FIT and Farmingdale proving that it's not the size of the school that's important, but the spirit within the college community.
This is the first time Oakie has advanced past Round 2 and he has done so with overwhelming support from students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends of ESF.
Championship voting opens Monday at noon and runs until 4 p.m. Wednesday, April 5.
Anyone can vote in Mascot Madness. Voters will be asked to enter their email and then confirm their vote. Votes can be cast every 12 hours, according to the rules established by SUNY.
The winning college will take home the traveling Mascot Madness trophy from SUNY.
Mascots were randomly placed into four SUNY regions and ranked by the number of athletic teams each mascot represents, which determined which mascots compete against each other in each round.
Seed rankings are based on the number of teams that represent a particular campus, with enrollment data used to break any ties. Oakie currently represents 10 men's and women's teams in ESF's growing athletics program.
The intercollegiate athletics program at ESF traces its roots all the way back to 1912, the second year of the college's existence, when students organized a Forestry Club on campus that has sponsored an intercollegiate timber sports team every year since.
Today, students can compete on in soccer, golf, cross country, timber sports (Woodsmen's Team), basketball, track and bass fishing. The Mighty Oaks are a member of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Stages Exhibits at New York State Fair
- NYC Students Learn Hands-on Science
- Study in ‘Nature’ Details Global Land Change
- ESF, Ichor Therapeutics Team Up to Combat Age-related Illness
- Wagner Receives College Foundation Teaching Award
- Dr. Timothy Volk Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Student’s ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AEC’s McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210