The Little Acorn that Could
Oakie makes it to championship round of Mascot Madness
ESF's Oakie the Acorn is proving to be the Cinderella story of SUNY's 5th Annual as he enters the championship round Monday against SUNY Geneseo's Victor E. Knight.
Oakie defeated mascots from Brockport, Albany, FIT and Farmingdale proving that it's not the size of the school that's important, but the spirit within the college community.
This is the first time Oakie has advanced past Round 2 and he has done so with overwhelming support from students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends of ESF.
Championship voting opens Monday at noon and runs until 4 p.m. Wednesday, April 5.
Anyone can vote in Mascot Madness. Voters will be asked to enter their email and then confirm their vote. Votes can be cast every 12 hours, according to the rules established by SUNY.
The winning college will take home the traveling Mascot Madness trophy from SUNY.
Mascots were randomly placed into four SUNY regions and ranked by the number of athletic teams each mascot represents, which determined which mascots compete against each other in each round.
Seed rankings are based on the number of teams that represent a particular campus, with enrollment data used to break any ties. Oakie currently represents 10 men's and women's teams in ESF's growing athletics program.
The intercollegiate athletics program at ESF traces its roots all the way back to 1912, the second year of the college's existence, when students organized a Forestry Club on campus that has sponsored an intercollegiate timber sports team every year since.
Today, students can compete on in soccer, golf, cross country, timber sports (Woodsmen's Team), basketball, track and bass fishing. The Mighty Oaks are a member of the United States Collegiate Athletic Association.
More ESF News
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize Competition
- 4 ESF Students Honored as Storyfest 2018 Finalists
- Student-Athletes Honored at Annual Banquet
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210