Mighty Oaks Welcome a New Coach
Mike Melfi will lead the cross country and track and field teams
With long time cross-country and track-and-field Head Coach John View retiring this year, ESF tapped local running star Mike Melfi to lead the Mighty Oaks programs.
Melfi has coached at Jamesville-Dewitt Central School District the past 10 years. During that period, Melfi guided several teams and individuals to sectional titles.
Melfi is a graduate of Henninger High School and competed as a student at Division I Marist College, where he was named the 1999 Sportsmen of the Year. Melfi is widely known in the local running community. He won the Chase Corporate Challenge four times and still holds the course record.
"The ESF cross-country program has had tremendous success in its short existence. I look forward to continue building upon that success. After meeting with current team members, I know that this is going to be a great fit. My goal is to improve our runners not only on the course but also in the classroom as student-athletes," Melfi said.
"We are thrilled to have Mike join the Mighty Oaks athletics department. Mike brings years of coaching experience. His success as a competitive runner will be very beneficial to our runners looking to reach the next level," said Dan Ramin, coordinator of athletics for ESF.
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
- Snails Bred in ESF Lab Help Species Crawl Back from Brink of Extinction
- ‘Extinct’ Floreana Tortoise Species Could Return to Galapagos
- U.S. News Ranks ESF among the Best
- LA, EFB Students Delve Into Harriet Tubman’s History
- MLA Student Receives ASLA Honors
- ESF Co-Sponsors ‘Drive and Shine’
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210