Mighty Oaks Welcome a New Coach
Mike Melfi will lead the cross country and track and field teams
With long time cross-country and track-and-field Head Coach John View retiring this year, ESF tapped local running star Mike Melfi to lead the Mighty Oaks programs.
Melfi has coached at Jamesville-Dewitt Central School District the past 10 years. During that period, Melfi guided several teams and individuals to sectional titles.
Melfi is a graduate of Henninger High School and competed as a student at Division I Marist College, where he was named the 1999 Sportsmen of the Year. Melfi is widely known in the local running community. He won the Chase Corporate Challenge four times and still holds the course record.
"The ESF cross-country program has had tremendous success in its short existence. I look forward to continue building upon that success. After meeting with current team members, I know that this is going to be a great fit. My goal is to improve our runners not only on the course but also in the classroom as student-athletes," Melfi said.
"We are thrilled to have Mike join the Mighty Oaks athletics department. Mike brings years of coaching experience. His success as a competitive runner will be very beneficial to our runners looking to reach the next level," said Dan Ramin, coordinator of athletics for ESF.
- Student-Athletes Honored at Annual Banquet
- Army Touches Down at Ranger School for Training Mission
- ESF Professor's New Book Looks at What Makes Something 'Alive'
- Ducks Unlimited Lists ESF among 'Sweet 16' Collegiate Chapters
- Trees Cope with Harsh Conditions, Surprising Researchers
- ERE Professor Focuses Sabbatical on GIS Technology
- Dr. Jack Manno, Cindy Squillace Honored with Racial Justice Award
- Mighty Oaks Hoops Play at the Dome
- ESF Celebrates Darwin and Wallace Feb. 15
- ESF Joins SUNY Puerto Rico Task Force
- Dr. Myron Mitchell Appointed to EPA Advisory Committee
- ESF, SU Celebrate Darwin’s Birthday with ‘Collecting Evolution’
- Smile! You’re On Canid Camera
- ESF, SU Announce Partnerships with Initial Focus on Water and Environment
- ESF Enhances Institutionalization of Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210