Mighty Oaks Opening Weekend Recap
Cross country teams start strong; soccer teams win
The 2017 Mighty Oaks fall sports season got underway as the men's and women's cross country teams participated at the Le Moyne College Short Course Invitational.
In the women's race, junior All-American Marissa Lathrop finished fourth with a time of 17:17. Freshman Erin Cocca placed sixth (17:41) while senior transfer Laura Wengert placed eighth (17:52). The three top 10 finishers gave ESF a second place overall finish behind the hosts Le Moyne College.
On the men's side, it was a freshman that lead ESF to a third place overall finish. Freshman Mark McClenahan placed ninth overall with a time of 21:28. His freshman teammate Tom Keenan finished 11th (22:21) followed by junior Ethan Appelgren (22:23). SUNY Delhi placed first overall while Le Moyne College finished second.
Both teams race again at Morrisville State Sept. 9.
On the soccer pitch, the national champion runner-ups, the Mighty Oaks women's soccer team started the season with a convincing 7-0 win over the King's College in an HVIAC-conference game. Senior Lauren Archer had a hat trick for the Mighty Oaks while senior forward Shannon added two goals.
The men's team also found the back of the net four times versus the King's College. Sophomore Joseph Kulikowski scored twice for ESF while sophomores Mickael Myagkota and Cooper Weinman also scored goals. Junior goal keeper Mike Hoppe had seven saves in the 4-0 shutout win.
Both teams face local rival Cazenovia College Sept. 12.
Earlier in the week, the bass fishing team had a successful outing in Lake Champlain. The duo of Ray Bentz and Andrew Sinchuk finished third overall catching five fish with a combined weight of 14.58 pounds. With the third place finish, the team qualifies for the Collegiate Cup Championship held on Lake Champlain Oct. 1.
The team will get another opportunity to practice before the championship at Lake George Sept. 18.
- Dr. Jack Manno, Cindy Squillace Honored with Racial Justice Award
- Mighty Oaks Hoops Play at the Dome
- ESF Celebrates Darwin and Wallace Feb. 15
- ESF Joins SUNY Puerto Rico Task Force
- Dr. Myron Mitchell Appointed to EPA Advisory Committee
- ESF, SU Celebrate Darwin’s Birthday with ‘Collecting Evolution’
- Smile! You’re On Canid Camera
- ESF, SU Announce Partnerships with Initial Focus on Water and Environment
- ESF Enhances Institutionalization of Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath
- Governor Unveils Plan to Protect N.Y. Lakes from Harmful Algal Blooms
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural Disasters
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against Disease
- Hurricanes Hit, so Ph.D. Candidate Gets to Work in Puerto Rico
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210