Mighty Oaks Opening Weekend Recap
Cross country teams start strong; soccer teams win
The 2017 Mighty Oaks fall sports season got underway as the men's and women's cross country teams participated at the Le Moyne College Short Course Invitational.
In the women's race, junior All-American Marissa Lathrop finished fourth with a time of 17:17. Freshman Erin Cocca placed sixth (17:41) while senior transfer Laura Wengert placed eighth (17:52). The three top 10 finishers gave ESF a second place overall finish behind the hosts Le Moyne College.
On the men's side, it was a freshman that lead ESF to a third place overall finish. Freshman Mark McClenahan placed ninth overall with a time of 21:28. His freshman teammate Tom Keenan finished 11th (22:21) followed by junior Ethan Appelgren (22:23). SUNY Delhi placed first overall while Le Moyne College finished second.
Both teams race again at Morrisville State Sept. 9.
On the soccer pitch, the national champion runner-ups, the Mighty Oaks women's soccer team started the season with a convincing 7-0 win over the King's College in an HVIAC-conference game. Senior Lauren Archer had a hat trick for the Mighty Oaks while senior forward Shannon added two goals.
The men's team also found the back of the net four times versus the King's College. Sophomore Joseph Kulikowski scored twice for ESF while sophomores Mickael Myagkota and Cooper Weinman also scored goals. Junior goal keeper Mike Hoppe had seven saves in the 4-0 shutout win.
Both teams face local rival Cazenovia College Sept. 12.
Earlier in the week, the bass fishing team had a successful outing in Lake Champlain. The duo of Ray Bentz and Andrew Sinchuk finished third overall catching five fish with a combined weight of 14.58 pounds. With the third place finish, the team qualifies for the Collegiate Cup Championship held on Lake Champlain Oct. 1.
The team will get another opportunity to practice before the championship at Lake George Sept. 18.
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210