2017-18 Mighty Oaks Men's Basketball Season Preview
Squad finished the 2016-17 season with best record in program history
The Mighty Oaks men's basketball team has high expectations as it welcomes back eight returning players for the 2017-18 season. The Mighty Oaks are looking to build on last season's success; the team finished with the best record in program history (11-11), 5-3 in Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (HVIAC) conference play, and qualified for the post-season tournament for the second year in a row.
The Mighty Oaks welcome back two starters from last year's team - senior forward and Captain Tyler Kuhn and junior guard Justin VanDuLuitgaarden. The team expects strong contributions from returning seniors Andrew Koch (captain), Cory Rogers and sharpshooter Zane Paradies. Juniors David Loewen, James Squier and Cole Hartman are also expected to contribute. With the season about to begin, Koch said, "The depth we have as a team is very exciting. With some solid defensive play, we should be a dangerous team during the season."
The team will open the season at home at 1 p.m. Nov. 4 against Finger Lakes Community and renew its rivalry with SUNY Broome Nov. 7.
The Might Oaks will then play several non-conference games highlighted by a return visit to the Penn State Worthington Scranton Tip-Off (Nov. 17 and 18) and home versus local rivals Cazenovia College (Nov. 20). ESF will begin HVIAC play Jan. 10 at Vaughn College in Queens, New York, and celebrate senior day Feb. 4 versus Paul Smith's College. The season will culminate at the HVIAC tournament Feb. 17 and 18, hosted by the College of New Rochelle.
"This group is very eager to write their own story. Last year was an amazing season for this program and our team is very focused on building on the success of the last two seasons as we continue to make history with this program. We are excited to represent the ESF Mighty Oaks on the court and off this season," said Head Coach Scott Blair.
- Dr. Jack Manno, Cindy Squillace Honored with Racial Justice Award
- Mighty Oaks Hoops Play at the Dome
- ESF Celebrates Darwin and Wallace Feb. 15
- ESF Joins SUNY Puerto Rico Task Force
- Dr. Myron Mitchell Appointed to EPA Advisory Committee
- ESF, SU Celebrate Darwin’s Birthday with ‘Collecting Evolution’
- Smile! You’re On Canid Camera
- ESF, SU Announce Partnerships with Initial Focus on Water and Environment
- ESF Enhances Institutionalization of Inclusion, Equity, and Diversity
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath
- Governor Unveils Plan to Protect N.Y. Lakes from Harmful Algal Blooms
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural Disasters
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against Disease
- Hurricanes Hit, so Ph.D. Candidate Gets to Work in Puerto Rico
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210