2017-18 Mighty Oaks Men's Basketball Season Preview
Squad finished the 2016-17 season with best record in program history
The Mighty Oaks men's basketball team has high expectations as it welcomes back eight returning players for the 2017-18 season. The Mighty Oaks are looking to build on last season's success; the team finished with the best record in program history (11-11), 5-3 in Hudson Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (HVIAC) conference play, and qualified for the post-season tournament for the second year in a row.
The Mighty Oaks welcome back two starters from last year's team - senior forward and Captain Tyler Kuhn and junior guard Justin VanDuLuitgaarden. The team expects strong contributions from returning seniors Andrew Koch (captain), Cory Rogers and sharpshooter Zane Paradies. Juniors David Loewen, James Squier and Cole Hartman are also expected to contribute. With the season about to begin, Koch said, "The depth we have as a team is very exciting. With some solid defensive play, we should be a dangerous team during the season."
The team will open the season at home at 1 p.m. Nov. 4 against Finger Lakes Community and renew its rivalry with SUNY Broome Nov. 7.
The Might Oaks will then play several non-conference games highlighted by a return visit to the Penn State Worthington Scranton Tip-Off (Nov. 17 and 18) and home versus local rivals Cazenovia College (Nov. 20). ESF will begin HVIAC play Jan. 10 at Vaughn College in Queens, New York, and celebrate senior day Feb. 4 versus Paul Smith's College. The season will culminate at the HVIAC tournament Feb. 17 and 18, hosted by the College of New Rochelle.
"This group is very eager to write their own story. Last year was an amazing season for this program and our team is very focused on building on the success of the last two seasons as we continue to make history with this program. We are excited to represent the ESF Mighty Oaks on the court and off this season," said Head Coach Scott Blair.
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Artist in Residence
- Soccer Teams Win Big on Senior Day
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210