College of Forestry Campus Expands
New dedicated to Louis Marshall
Bray Hall was the only building on the ESF campus until Marshall Hall's completion in 1933.
When then-Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt endorsed the proposal for Louis Marshall Memorial Hall, he wrote, "Probably more than any other man, Mr. Marshall was responsible for a greatly increased interest throughout the State on preservation of the Adirondacks and at the same time in the practical development of the science of forestry." The request was approved by the legislature in March, 1930. (Forestry College Essays on the Growth and Development of New York State's College of Forestry, 1911-1961)
The building filled a critical need for additional teaching and laboratory space for the College's expanding programs and student enrollment. The construction cost for the 90,060-square-foot building was $501,000.
Marshall Hall now serves as a hub for activity on campus. It contains Marshall Auditorium, Alumni Lounge (known informally as Nifkin Lounge), the Gallery snack bar and the campus bookstore. It houses academic programs in landscape architecture and environmental studies and the offices of ESF Outreach.
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2016
- Advice for Graduates: Stay United, 'Enjoy Your Wisdom'
- NYSERDA Launches Climate Change Science Clearinghouse
- Heather Carl Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ĎAmazing Experienceí with Animals Leads to Career Goal
- On the Menu: Woodcock and Ďa Ton of Venisoní
- CNY Girls Summit Career Conference Comes to ESF
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Program
- Millions of Native Orchids Flourish at Former Mining Waste Site
- Two ESF Students Earn SUNY Chancellorís Award
- ESF Students Share Tips to a Greener Life
- ESF Celebrates Earth Week
- Ian Shapiro Named Green Building Advocate of the Year
- Closed-Loop Art: Woodburner Uses Material at Hand
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210