ESF Establishes Biomass Internships
Program introduces students to companies in field
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) has established a summer biomass internship program aimed at creating connections between students who are interested in learning about the subject and local companies that are working in the field.
"We want to create links with the companies within the 12-county region in Central New York that are working on biomass issues," said Dr. Timothy Volk, co-director of the ESF-based SUNY Center for Sustainable and Renewable Energy. "The students can get hands-on experience in working in the biomass field and the companies can get some exposure to prospective employees."
Biomass, which refers to any organic material, can be used as a sustainable resource in the production of heat, power, fuel and consumer products. Biomass includes dedicated energy crops, trees and other plants, wood and wood residue, fibers and waste materials.
The summer biomass internship program is run collaboratively by ESF, the Syracuse Center of Excellence and the CenterState Corporation for Economic Opportunity (CEO). The program is supported by funding from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The internships are available to students enrolled at ESF and Syracuse University.
Volk said the biomass internships are a first for the Syracuse area.
"This region is moving forward in the biomass area," he said. "The resources are here, the research is being done here and there are businesses here doing work in the field. The next step is to provide a trained work force."
- Students Recognize Contributions of Faculty, Staff
- Martin Hogue Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. John Farrell Named Exemplary Researcher at ESF
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by Chancellor
- Syracuse City Schools to take ESF’s Environmental Challenge
- Jorge Guarin Named SUNY Scholar-Athlete
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2017
- Dr. Nosa Egiebor Joins ESF as Provost, Executive VP
- Class of '17 Joins ESF Alumni Ranks
- Cultural and Natural Sustainability Come Together in New AIC Program
- Chemistry Student Wins Award
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- Oakie Acorn Receives Mascot Madness Trophy
- ESF Students Celebrate Arbor Day
- ESF Earns ‘Tree Campus’ Distinction
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210