ESF Establishes Biomass Internships
Program introduces students to companies in field
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) has established a summer biomass internship program aimed at creating connections between students who are interested in learning about the subject and local companies that are working in the field.
"We want to create links with the companies within the 12-county region in Central New York that are working on biomass issues," said Dr. Timothy Volk, co-director of the ESF-based SUNY Center for Sustainable and Renewable Energy. "The students can get hands-on experience in working in the biomass field and the companies can get some exposure to prospective employees."
Biomass, which refers to any organic material, can be used as a sustainable resource in the production of heat, power, fuel and consumer products. Biomass includes dedicated energy crops, trees and other plants, wood and wood residue, fibers and waste materials.
The summer biomass internship program is run collaboratively by ESF, the Syracuse Center of Excellence and the CenterState Corporation for Economic Opportunity (CEO). The program is supported by funding from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The internships are available to students enrolled at ESF and Syracuse University.
Volk said the biomass internships are a first for the Syracuse area.
"This region is moving forward in the biomass area," he said. "The resources are here, the research is being done here and there are businesses here doing work in the field. The next step is to provide a trained work force."
- Feinstone Environmental Awards Honor Women in Science
- Loon Race Celebrates Summer at Newcomb Campus
- ESF Monitors Waters of Sodus Bay
- Newcomb Campus Hosts Sculptor as Artist-in-residence
- Secret Lives of Amazonian Fishes Revealed by Chemicals Stored in Their Ear-stones
- ESF Landscape Architecture Students Receive ASLA Honors
- Student's Project Dishes Up Food to Those in Need
- Dr. Stewart Diemont Receives Teaching Award
- Dr. Stephen Stehman Named ESF Exemplary Researcher
- ESF Student Finalist for Olmsted Scholar Award
- 2016 Adirondack BioBlitz Kicks Off in the St. Lawrence Valley
- ESF Graduate Joins Teach for America
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2016
- Advice for Graduates: Stay United, 'Enjoy Your Wisdom'
- NYSERDA Launches Climate Change Science Clearinghouse
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210