ESF Establishes Biomass Internships
Program introduces students to companies in field
The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) has established a summer biomass internship program aimed at creating connections between students who are interested in learning about the subject and local companies that are working in the field.
"We want to create links with the companies within the 12-county region in Central New York that are working on biomass issues," said Dr. Timothy Volk, co-director of the ESF-based SUNY Center for Sustainable and Renewable Energy. "The students can get hands-on experience in working in the biomass field and the companies can get some exposure to prospective employees."
Biomass, which refers to any organic material, can be used as a sustainable resource in the production of heat, power, fuel and consumer products. Biomass includes dedicated energy crops, trees and other plants, wood and wood residue, fibers and waste materials.
The summer biomass internship program is run collaboratively by ESF, the Syracuse Center of Excellence and the CenterState Corporation for Economic Opportunity (CEO). The program is supported by funding from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The internships are available to students enrolled at ESF and Syracuse University.
Volk said the biomass internships are a first for the Syracuse area.
"This region is moving forward in the biomass area," he said. "The resources are here, the research is being done here and there are businesses here doing work in the field. The next step is to provide a trained work force."
- What Species Is Most Fit for Life? All Have an Equal Chance, Scientists Say
- The Ocean Is Losing Its Breath
- Governor Unveils Plan to Protect N.Y. Lakes from Harmful Algal Blooms
- Acorns to Action Strives to Help Victims of Natural Disasters
- Synthetic Protein Could Be Key in Battle against Disease
- Hurricanes Hit, so Ph.D. Candidate Gets to Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Student Part of First-Place Team in Hult Prize Competition
- Zachary Smith's Commencement Speech
- Commencement Celebrates 'Stumpies...Because We Care'
- ESF Alumna Named Schwarzman Scholar
- ESF Celebrates December Commencement
- ESF Discovery Could Advance Cancer Research
- Senior Accomplishes Goal: ‘Publish in a Journal’
- ESF Students Participate in SEA Semester Program
- ESF President Joins NY Botanical Garden as ‘Distinguished Counsellor’
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210