ESF Student Selected as 2011 Olmsted Scholar Finalist
Award recognizes student leaders in landscape sustainability
Charles Hamilton, a graduate student in the Department of Landscape Architecture at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), was selected as a Landscape Architecture Foundation 2011 Olmsted Scholar finalist.
Of the 40 nominees from across the United States and Canada, Hamilton was selected as one of only five finalists.
While at ESF, Hamilton worked for the Syracuse Environmental Finance Center to help connect New York farmers directly to local consumers. He also worked with the Center for Community Design Research at ESF, participating in a range of community design projects. Additionally, he created and conducted a series of community engagement activities for his capstone project at a 1,300-student girls' school in Marrakech, Morocco.
Hamilton hopes to use design to help underprivileged groups and engage communities in the design process. In his leadership role as a graduate teaching assistant, he has guided students' work in design studios and community workshop facilitation.
As a top student leader in landscape sustainability, he will receive $1,000 at the LAF Annual Benefit in San Diego, Calif., in October, receive lifetime use of the designation of "National Olmsted Scholar Finalist," and have his work highlighted on the LAF website.
Recent ESF News
- ESF Professor Appointed to International Board on Lake Ontario
- Society of American Foresters Plays Key Role in Studentís ESF Experience
- ESF Staff, Faculty Honored by SUNY Chancellor
- SUNY Board of Trustees Appoints Interim President of ESF
- ESF Student Wins at COINS Grand Challenge
- ESF Students Return from Puerto Rico
- AECís McNulty Named President of OBFS
- Former ESF Cross Country Coach Inducted into USCAA Hall of Fame
- ESF Welcomes Camp Fire Professor of Wildlife Conservation
- ESF Students Join Efforts to Rebuild Puerto Rico
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210