ESF Students Help 5th-graders Learn about Healthy Food Choices
Writing students, city school children look at lunches
A group of ESF students who are studying the topic of food politics helped a class of fifth-graders learn about making healthy food choices for lunch.
The ESF students, who are taking a course called Writing, Humanities, and the Environment, worked with pupils at Frazer Elementary in the Syracuse City School District to research and identify healthy food choices.
Frazer teacher Theresa Neddo's pupils researched and identified healthy food choices and created posters about food groups, food origins and nutrition for display in the school cafeteria.
ESF students participating in the service-learning project were Meaghan Callaghan, Taylor Grayson, Christopher Gucciardo, Vittorio Maietta, Michael Norman, Jonathan Rice, Timothy Schnaufer, Hannah Scrafford and Nathan Sleight. They worked with their instructor, Dawnelle Jager of ESF's Environmental Studies Writing Program, and Elizabeth Mix, ESF's service learning coordinator.
Jager said the ESF students were surprised at the range of the fifth-graders' skills as they contributed ideas and learned the impact of their eating habits and food choices.
- ESF Alumnus Begins Peace Corps Service
- Travis Lecture Focuses on Restoring Giant in Galapagos
- Dream Becomes Reality for ESF Senior
- Summer on the Farm
- Workshop Highlights Role of Citizen Science in Battling Microplastics
- U.S. News Ranks ESF among the Best
- ESF Receives STARS Gold Rating For Sustainability Progress
- ESF No. 2 on Sierra Magazine’s ‘Cool Schools’ List for 2016
- Research Team Probes Health Effects of Onondaga Lakebed Sediment
- ESF among the Best, Princeton Review Says
- N.Y. Lieutenant Governor Joins ESF Leaders for Lab Openings
- Syracuse Poster Project on Display at Moon Library
- ESF Welcomes Strong Class for Fall 2016
- Alumna's Career Changes But Environmental Focus Remains
- Yoga Peaks Revitalizes Mind and Body
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210