ESF Students Help 5th-graders Learn about Healthy Food Choices
Writing students, city school children look at lunches
A group of ESF students who are studying the topic of food politics helped a class of fifth-graders learn about making healthy food choices for lunch.
The ESF students, who are taking a course called Writing, Humanities, and the Environment, worked with pupils at Frazer Elementary in the Syracuse City School District to research and identify healthy food choices.
Frazer teacher Theresa Neddo's pupils researched and identified healthy food choices and created posters about food groups, food origins and nutrition for display in the school cafeteria.
ESF students participating in the service-learning project were Meaghan Callaghan, Taylor Grayson, Christopher Gucciardo, Vittorio Maietta, Michael Norman, Jonathan Rice, Timothy Schnaufer, Hannah Scrafford and Nathan Sleight. They worked with their instructor, Dawnelle Jager of ESF's Environmental Studies Writing Program, and Elizabeth Mix, ESF's service learning coordinator.
Jager said the ESF students were surprised at the range of the fifth-graders' skills as they contributed ideas and learned the impact of their eating habits and food choices.
- Dr. James Gibbs Named SUNY Distinguished Professor
- ESF Students Place Second in SU ‘Impact Prize’ Competition
- ESF Researcher, Ph.D. Candidate Attend First Bioeconomy Conference
- ESF Professor Receives National Forestry Award
- Nature and Health Come Together at Syracuse VA Medical Center
- Mighty Oaks Athletes Earn Honors
- USCAA National Championships Recap
- Mighty Oaks Compete in Conference Tournaments
- Community Stewards to Receive ESF’s Feinstone Award
- ESF Hosts Inaugural SUNY Leaders Sustainability Summit
- AIC’s Artist-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Princeton Review Again Ranks ESF No. 2 among Nation’s ‘Green Colleges’
- SUNY, W.K. Kellogg Foundation Announce Grant for Sustainable Village and Learning Community in Haiti
- ‘Moonlighting’ Focuses on E.O. Wilson’s Half-Earth Project
- ESF Golfers Take to Links in Players Championship
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210