ESF Students Help 5th-graders Learn about Healthy Food Choices
Writing students, city school children look at lunches
A group of ESF students who are studying the topic of food politics helped a class of fifth-graders learn about making healthy food choices for lunch.
The ESF students, who are taking a course called Writing, Humanities, and the Environment, worked with pupils at Frazer Elementary in the Syracuse City School District to research and identify healthy food choices.
Frazer teacher Theresa Neddo's pupils researched and identified healthy food choices and created posters about food groups, food origins and nutrition for display in the school cafeteria.
ESF students participating in the service-learning project were Meaghan Callaghan, Taylor Grayson, Christopher Gucciardo, Vittorio Maietta, Michael Norman, Jonathan Rice, Timothy Schnaufer, Hannah Scrafford and Nathan Sleight. They worked with their instructor, Dawnelle Jager of ESF's Environmental Studies Writing Program, and Elizabeth Mix, ESF's service learning coordinator.
Jager said the ESF students were surprised at the range of the fifth-graders' skills as they contributed ideas and learned the impact of their eating habits and food choices.
- ĎAmazing Experienceí with Animals Leads to Career Goal
- On the Menu: Woodcock and Ďa Ton of Venisoní
- CNY Girls Summit Career Conference Comes to ESF
- ESF Student Participates in SEA Semester Program
- Millions of Native Orchids Flourish at Former Mining Waste Site
- Two ESF Students Earn SUNY Chancellorís Award
- ESF Students Share Tips to a Greener Life
- ESF Celebrates Earth Week
- Ian Shapiro Named Green Building Advocate of the Year
- Closed-Loop Art: Woodburner Uses Material at Hand
- ESF Hosts Photo Exhibit of Migratory Birds along Onondaga Lake
- Study Examines Conditions for Growing Young Chestnuts
- Cultural Education
- AICís Artists-in-Residence to Be Featured in ESF Show
- Scientists Honored for Study on Improving Odds for Bats' Survival
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210