ESF Students Help 5th-graders Learn about Healthy Food Choices
Writing students, city school children look at lunches
A group of ESF students who are studying the topic of food politics helped a class of fifth-graders learn about making healthy food choices for lunch.
The ESF students, who are taking a course called Writing, Humanities, and the Environment, worked with pupils at Frazer Elementary in the Syracuse City School District to research and identify healthy food choices.
Frazer teacher Theresa Neddo's pupils researched and identified healthy food choices and created posters about food groups, food origins and nutrition for display in the school cafeteria.
ESF students participating in the service-learning project were Meaghan Callaghan, Taylor Grayson, Christopher Gucciardo, Vittorio Maietta, Michael Norman, Jonathan Rice, Timothy Schnaufer, Hannah Scrafford and Nathan Sleight. They worked with their instructor, Dawnelle Jager of ESF's Environmental Studies Writing Program, and Elizabeth Mix, ESF's service learning coordinator.
Jager said the ESF students were surprised at the range of the fifth-graders' skills as they contributed ideas and learned the impact of their eating habits and food choices.
- Farther from the Forest: ‘Eye-opening’ Study Shows Rural U.S. Loses Forests Faster than Cities
- ESF Professor Awarded Research Grant
- Darwin Celebrated in Moon Library
- Urban Design Experts to Speak at Green Building Conference
- ESF Alum Honored by White House
- ESF One of Princeton Review's "Colleges That Pay You Back"
- Former ESF President Whaley Honored by NY Bar Association
- ESF Junior Honored as 'Unsung Hero'
- ‘Jet’ Lewis Builds Busy Life as ESF Sophomore
- Tigers Could Roam Again in Central Asia, Scientists Say
- ESF Chemistry Professor Appointed VP for Research
- ESF Alumnus Wins Award for Sustainable Dog Treats
- Dedication to Environment Brings Student to ESF from Mexico
- ESF December Graduates Join Alumni Ranks
- AASHE Recognizes ESF for Sustainability Innovations
Office of Communications
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210