ESF Students Help 5th-graders Learn about Healthy Food Choices
Writing students, city school children look at lunches
A group of ESF students who are studying the topic of food politics helped a class of fifth-graders learn about making healthy food choices for lunch.
The ESF students, who are taking a course called Writing, Humanities, and the Environment, worked with pupils at Frazer Elementary in the Syracuse City School District to research and identify healthy food choices.
Frazer teacher Theresa Neddo's pupils researched and identified healthy food choices and created posters about food groups, food origins and nutrition for display in the school cafeteria.
ESF students participating in the service-learning project were Meaghan Callaghan, Taylor Grayson, Christopher Gucciardo, Vittorio Maietta, Michael Norman, Jonathan Rice, Timothy Schnaufer, Hannah Scrafford and Nathan Sleight. They worked with their instructor, Dawnelle Jager of ESF's Environmental Studies Writing Program, and Elizabeth Mix, ESF's service learning coordinator.
Jager said the ESF students were surprised at the range of the fifth-graders' skills as they contributed ideas and learned the impact of their eating habits and food choices.
More ESF News
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize Competition
- 4 ESF Students Honored as Storyfest 2018 Finalists
- Student-Athletes Honored at Annual Banquet
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210