Beaver Lake Benefits from Service-Learning Project
SEEC shares lessons with Frazer School students
A group of ESF students and some children from Frazer School in Syracuse worked together April 29 to pick up trash, plant flowers and scrub benches in a service-learning project at Beaver Lake Nature Center.
Nine ESF students, including five members of the Student Environmental Education Coalition led more than 60 fifth-graders on a nature walk and created a nature journal that coordinated with the children's current science unit on ecosystems. The Frazer students learned first-hand about the living and non-living things that make up an ecosystem and documented their discoveries in the journal.
After the walk, the children, their teachers and the ESF students to clean debris from trails, plant flowers in front of the center, clean benches and mulch the canoe area.
This project was funded by a Learn and Serve America grant from the Corporation for National and Community Service. The grant aims to strengthen academic content knowledge by meeting community needs.
SEEC worked with the group's adviser, Liz Mix, ESF's Community Service and Service-Learning Coordinator, Frazer School teacher Theresa Neddo and Meg Valovage from Beaver Lake Nature Center to plan the event.
More ESF News
- ESF Lists Top 10 New Species for 2018
- Mortarboards Fly and Students Become Alumni
- ESF Announces Career Fellows for 2018
- ESF Students Named SUNY Scholar-Athletes
- 14 ESF Students Set for Volunteer Work in Puerto Rico
- ESF Announces Commencement Weekend Activities
- ESF Honors Conservation Scientist Eleanor J. Sterling
- Researchers Find Whole Genome Duplication Has Occurred Many Times during Evolution of Insects
- Chemistry Graduate Student Wins Award
- Nomura Group Recognized for Top Article
- Hello, Mr. President — About the Environment…
- ESF Team among Finalists for $2.5M Canals Competition
- Two ESF Students Honored with Chancellor's Award
- 3 ESF Students among Winners at SU RvD iPrize Competition
- 4 ESF Students Honored as Storyfest 2018 Finalists
Communications & Marketing
122 Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210