Charles A.S. Hall
Susana del Granado Penaranda
- Degree Sought: PHD
- Graduate Advisor(s): Manno and Hall
- Area of Study: Environmental and Natural Resources Policy
- Previous Graduate Study: SUNY-ESF (Env Pol & Dem Proces)
- Degree Sought: PHD
- Graduate Advisor(s): Hall
- Area of Study: Coupled Natural and Human Systems
- Undergraduate Institute: University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez (Biology)
- Previous Graduate Study: University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez (Biology )
My research interest are focused in biophysical economics, econometric modeling, and data analysis. I currently work for a NGO in Puerto Rico that focuses on Social-Ecological Systems research.
Graduate Research Topic
Coupled Human and Natural Systems
Past Graduate Students
(8/03, PhD GPES) Quantifying the Sustainability of Metro Manila, Philippines
- Project Coordinator
Current Academic Training:
- Aparri Engineering LLC
(8/07, MS GPES) Quantifying the Impact of Oil Shocks on Long-Term Public Debt: A Scenario Analysis
(Left to right: Secretary of energy Steven Chu, Jillian McMicheal, and his wife)
(8/08 MS GPES) Energy and economic analysis of proposed lighting retrofit options for Illick Hall at SUNY-ESF.
(8/07, PhD) with Jack Manno
(8/05, MS) with Myrna Hall
(8/07, PhD GPES) Energy Return on Investment as a Metric for Biophysical Economics.
(2007, MS GPES with Myrna Hall) The relation between land-cover and the urban heat island in northeastern Puerto Rico.
(2008, MS GPES) The energy costs and gains of oil and natural gas extraction worldwide.
(2007, PhD EFB with Donald Stewart) A socio-economical synthesis on the conservation of the pirarucu (Arapaima) in floodplains of the Amazon.
- Postdoctoral Fellow at the Woods Hole Research Center
(2006, MS GPES). Some meteorological consequences of land use change from urbanization and industrialization along a rural to urban gradient in eastern Puerto Rico
- Stay at home Mom
- Quantitative Environmental Analysis, Scientist
- Environmental Resources Management, Intern
- Environmental Resources Management, Consultant
- State University of New York – College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Instructor
(2006, PhD EFB) Measuring the carbon balance of a tropical forested ecosystem along a gradient of elevation in the Luquillo Mountains, Puerto Rico: an empirical and modeling study scaled from leaves to landscapes.
- Senior Program Associate to Program Officer: Carbon and Land Use Specialist in the Ecosystem Services unit of Winrock International
(2006, PhD EFB) An Empirical And Modeling Analysis of the Spatial Structure And Trophic Energy Flow Through A Small Temperate Stream
- Assistant Scientist and Section leader, Watershed and Systems Ecology Section, Patrick Center for Environmental Research, Academy of Natural Sciences
- Research associate/Staff-University of Pennsylvania
- Adjunct faculty-Drexel University
- Adjunct faculty-Arcadia University
- Post-doctoral research fellow-University of Pennsylvania
(2006, MS GPES) A biophysical analysis of food production in Ghana: History and potential for food self sufficiency
(2006, PhD EFB) The relation of soil erosion and poverty on the Island of Negros, The Philippines
- Assistant professor at Michigan State University, jointly with the Department of Community, Agriculture, Recreation, and Resource Studies, and the Environmental Science & Policy Program
- She is working on research projects around upland development in the Philippines, land use decision-making in Minnesota, and climate change and the bioeconomy in Michigan
- Postdoctoral appointment University of Minnesota Ecosystem Science and Sustainability Initiative, 2007-2008
- Dr. Schmitt Olabisi has taught modeling, ecology and environmental science classes at the high school, college, and graduate levels.
(2005, PhD GPES) Spatial Modeling of the Probability of Cloud Cover Evapotranspiration and Stream Flow in North-Eastern Puerto Rico.
- Assistant Professor in Landscape Ecology, Department of Coastal Sciences, The University of Southern Mississippi (USM)
- Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Nicholas School of the Environment, Duke University (2006-2007)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Civil & Environmental engineering, Syracuse University (2005-2006)
- Research Assistant, Department of Environmental Science, SUNY-College of Environmental Science & Forestry (2001-2005)
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Environmental and Forest Biology, SUNY-College of Environmental Science & Forestry (2000-2001)
(2005, PhD GPES) Modeling how land use affects nutrient budgets in the Guayas Basin – Ecuador: Ecological and economic implications.
- Viceminister, Minister of the Environment, Ecuador.
- Coordinator of Littoral at the Secretaria Nacional de Gestion de Riesgos, Guayas.
- Visiting Scientist at the Institute for Study of the Society and Environment.
- Post doctoral Fellow ASP/IAI at the Institute for the Study of the Society and Environment (ISSE) at the National Center for Atmospheric Research.
(2005, MS GPES) Quantitative analysis of the agro-pastoral system in the Republic of Niger; Implications for food security.
- PhD Candidate at Cornell University (Fall 2004-Present) majoring in Animal Science; also completing two minors 1.) Environmental Information Sciences and 2.) Natural Resources.
(2003, PhD EFB) Assessing the sustainability of short-rotation forestry for energy production in New York State
Hallock Jr., John L
(2003, MS EFB) Effects of a Recently-Licensed Hydroelectric Project and Channel Gradient on Benthic Macroinvertebrates in the Salmon River, New York
Cornell, Joseph D.
(2003, PhD EFB) Modeling Forest Cover in Central America From 1880 - 2000 A.D. Using GIS
(2003, PhD GPES) Exploring the Comparative Cost-Effectiveness of Economic Incentive and Command-And-Control Instruments, and of Renewable A Case Study of Lima-Callao, Peru
- Senior Environmental Economist, Central Science Department, The Nature Conservancy
- Natural Resources Economist, Conservation Economics Program, Defenders of Wildlife
- Consultant, International Resources Group, LLC
- Consultant, Pan-American Health Organization
- Consultant, National Environmental Council, Peru
- Consultant, Swisscontact Peru
- Associate Professor, Faculty of Science and Technology, Thammasat University
- Teaching: Forest Ecology and Environment, GIS for Environmental Science, Remote Sensing for Environmental Science and Map Interpretation.
- She is also working on writing a Thai textbook about tropical forest ecology.
- Assistant Professor, Faculty of Science and Technology, Thammasat University
- Lecturer, Faculty of Science and Technology, Thammasat University
- Landscape Ecologist (Spatial Ecosystem Modeler), 2009 – Present, IAP World Services/National Wetlands Research Center /Coastal Restoration Field Station/USGS, Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- Assistant Professor Research (Hydrodynamic/Water Quality Modeler), 2007 – 2009, Center for Louisiana Water Studies, Institute of Coastal Ecology and Engineering, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Lafayette, Louisiana.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate (Ecological Modeler), 2004 – 2007, Environmental Cooperative Science Center (ECSC), NOAA, and Environmental Sciences Institute (ESI), Florida A&M University, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate (Landscape Ecologist), 2001 – 2004, Department of Geography and Environmental Systems, University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC).
- President and Senior Wildlife Biologist of Hyla Ecological Services, Inc. of Somerville, Massachusetts.
- Primary responsibilities include the design and implementation of surveys for reptiles, amphibians, birds and other wildlife; wildlife habitat assessments and mapping using GIS.
- Avian Biologist for the Cornell Lab of Ornithology’s Golden-winged Warbler Atlas Project.
- Participant in the New York Breeding Bird Atlas project.
- Sector leader for the Christmas Bird Counts in Groton and Concord, MA.
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Marine Sciences, Texas A&M University at Galveston
- Participating faculty, MARB-IDP (Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in Marine Biology),Texas A&M University
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Coastal Ecology Institute, Louisiana State University (LSU), Baton Rouge, Louisiana (Supervisor: Dr. John W. Day)
Parajuli, Rudriksha R.
(2003, MS GPES) An Analysis of the Relationship Between Human Population Growth and Cereal Supply in Nepal
Rubin, Benjamin Dana
(2003, PhD EFB with Paul Manion) Assessment of the Health and Sustainability of New York Forest Based on Forest Structure, Mortality and Disease
(2001, PhD GPES) Dynamic Simulation Modeling of the Land Use, Economy and Environment in Chiang Mai, Thailand Using GIS and Remote Sensing
(2001, PhD EFB) Dynamic Modeling of The Spatial and Temporal Variations of Forest Carbon and Nitrogen Inventories, Including Their Responses to Hurricane Disturbances, in The Luquillo Mountains, Puerto Rico.
(2001, MS EFB with Theresa Donovan) Using multivariate models to predict avian distribution in the St. Lawrence Plain region of New York.
(2000, PhD) An integrated assessment of energy and resource efficiency trends at regional, national, and international scales.