VII. BREAKS AND SPILLS
- Report all spills that present a health or safety risk, or are beyond your cleanup capabilities. Call University Police (x6666)
- Be prepared to name the chemical, the amount, and the location of the affected area.
- Evacuate the area and let the Environmental Health & Safety Office evaluate the proper procedure for cleaning the spill. (See Appendix E)
B. Personal Safety
- Skin, eye or mouth contact: flush the affected area immediately with copious amounts of fresh clean water for at least 15 minutes, then seek medical attention.
- Chemical contamination of clothing: immediately remove the clothing to avoid soaking through to the skin.
- Contain chemical spills with sand or an absorbent material. After clean up, wash the contaminated area thoroughly. Collect and store contaminated materials in suitable containers for disposal.