VIII. COMPRESSED GASES
Compressed gases used at ESF range from flammable to toxic to cryogenic. Each can pose particular and unique problems if not handled properly.
A. Handling and Storage
- All gas cylinders must be firmly secured using straps, chains, or clamps.
- Compressed gas cylinders must be located away from traffic areas.
- All cylinders must be labeled to identify contents.
- Transport only on approved cart or hand truck.
- Check all cylinders for leakage.
- Shut off cylinder when not in use.
- Store cylinders only in well ventilated areas.
- Label empty cylinders “EMPTY.”
- Use only returnable/refillable cylinders.
(See Appendix G)