XII. FIRE PREVENTION, CONTROL, AND REPORTING
- Be aware of potential ignition sources including open flames, heating elements and electrical sources.
- Smoking is prohibited in all buildings.
- Do not use flammable liquids in the presence of ignition sources.
- Do not store any flammable materials in non-explosion proof refrigerator. Store non-refrigerated flammables in approved flammable storage cabinet.
- Do not store flammable liquids in areas exposed to direct sunlight.
B. Priorities in Case of Fire
- Contain the fire. Exit the room and close the door to prevent the spread of smoke and flame.
- Activate the fire alarm system by pulling the nearest fire alarm box.
- Evacuate the building. Evacuation shall be immediate, and by the nearest safe exit. All occupants of a building must evacuate during an alarm. Check the floor evacuation chart. Do not return to your office for personal items.
- When you have arrived at a safe location, call University Police at x6666 or use a Help Phone. Give all information --- building, floor, room number, and any other information valuable to an emergency responder. Remain on the phone until told to hang up.
- All evacuated personnel shall assemble outside of the building to determine if all have exited. In the event someone is not accounted for, notify University Police or firefighters at the scene.
Note: In all but the most minor of fires, it is the policy of SUNY ESF that employees and students shall evacuate rather than to attempt to fight the fire.