Guidance in Preparing for FE Exam
In our ERE Department we want to guide you, our students, through the steps toward professional engineering licensure.
We offer all the core engineering and applied science courses needed to pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
You need to study and apply to take the exam. We help you study by offering an FE preparation course,
and in other courses we you to use the
NCEES approved FE Supplied Reference Handbook.
To sit for the FE exam in New York State you must complete a set of application materials, coordinating with our office
so they are notarized, certified by the SUNY ESF Registrar, and delivered to the
NYS Education Department (NYSED) on time.
Your application process includes:
- Form 1. You complete and mail this in with Check and Notary Public Stamp.
- For question 1 - only check Eligibility for admission to Part A of exam: Fundamentals of Engineering.
- Note the $70 fee to the right of question 1.
- For question 7 - only check Eligibility for admission to Part A of exam: Fundamentals of Engineering.
- Send your application and check to the NYSED mailing address found on the bottom of Form 1's page 4.
- For the April exam, send in your Form 1 and $70 check by the 3rd Monday in October.
- The ESF Notary Public is Carol Bain, in 100 Bray Hall. Call her at 470-6628 to make an appointment between 8:00 - 4:00.
- Form 2. You complete Section I of Form 2.
- You submit Form 2 to Baker 402. We use this form to complete its Section II and a separate Form 20.
- NYSED should send you correspondence (possibly by email) that you are eligible to sit for the exam.
You need to follow the directions given in their correspondence to schedule your exam location.
- Note - NYSED may send you correspondence indicating your application is incomplete.
This typically states Form 2 is missing, which is because you have not graduated.
Form 2 will be certified at ESF and sent to NYSED after you graduate.
- Schedule your FE exam location.
- NYSED will notify you that you are required to register with NCEES your exam location.
- When you schedule your exam location with NCEES, they will charge you a testing company fee.
- For the April exam, you must schedule with NCEES by mid-February.
Remember, study for the exam and get your application submitted. Check Secretary Teri's notes on the application process!