331 Marshall Hall
1 Forestry Dr.
Syracuse, New York 13210
- University of Toronto — Master of Landscape Architecture, 2010
- Harvard University Graduate School of Design — Master of Architecture, 1993
- Université de Montréal — Bachelor of Architecture, 1990
- SUNY ESF College of Environmental Science and Forestry (2010 - Present)
- University of Nebraska School of Architecture (Hyde Chair in Excellence, 2004)
- Syracuse University School of Architecture (2001-2008)
- Auburn University School of Architecture (1999-2001)
- University of Colorado (1997-1999)
- Texas Tech University (1996)
- Ordre des Architectes du Québec (1995 - present)
- LSA 226 – Foundation Design Studio I
- LSA 227 – Foundation Design Studio II
- LSA 326 – Design Studio I
- LSA 327 – Design Studio II
- LSA 455 / 655- Professional Practice
- LSA 496 / 696 – 7 Days in NYC: Exploring Contemporary Landscapes. Link
- LSA 552 – Graphic Communication
- LSA 620 – Graduate Design Studio III
- "Matter Displaced, Organized, Flattened: Recording the Landscape". Landscript no 5: Material Culture (Berlin: Jovis Verlag, 2017), pp.174-193. Link
- Thirtyfour Campgrounds (Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 2016). 272 pages. Link
- "Martin Hogue on his book Thirtyfour Campgrounds". Rorotoko, 2016. Link
- “Fully Serviced". Bracket 3: At Extremes (Actar, 2016). Link
- "The Cinematic Flâneur: Film and Site Exploration". Ground Magazine, issue 24: New Media (Ontario Association of Landscape Architects: winter 2013–2014), pp.18–21. Link
- “Kampground, America”. Places (2012). Link
- “A Brief History of the Campsite”. Places (2011). Link
- “Land, Speed, and Bonneville”. Places (2010). Link
- “A Site Constructed: The Bonneville Salt Flats and the Land Speed Record, 1935-1970”. Landscape Journal 24:1 (2005), pp.32-49.
- "Spiral Jetty- 08.2003". Photographs included in Robert Smithson: Spiral Jetty (New York: Dia Center for the Arts, 2005), pp.42-45, 121.
- "Spiral Jetty- 08.2003". Photograph included in Robert Smithson (Los Angeles: Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, 2004), pp.96, 103.
- "Spiral Jetty- 08.2003". Photographs included on front cover of Bookforum, December 04 / January 05.
- “The Site as Project: Lessons From Conceptual Art and Land Art”, Journal of Architectural Education vol. 57 no 3 (2004), pp.54-61.
Selected Conference Papers
- “Camping and the City: Adventures on the Urban Periphery”. American Association of Geographers (AAG) annual meeting, New York, NY, March 2012.
- “Exit 39, Then Left at the Light: Notes on Kampgrounds of America”. Paper presented at the American Association of Geographers (AAG) annual meeting, Seattle, WA, April 2011.
- “Robert Smithson and the Nonsites: Constructing the Site as Dialectic”. Paper presented at the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture national meeting, Louisville, KY, 2003.
- “Landing Strip”. Design project presented at the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture national meeting, Los Angeles, California, 2000.
- “Buildings Cast, Carved, Wrapped: The Intervention Practices of Rachel Whiteread, Gordon Matta-Clark, and Christo”. Paper presented at the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture national meeting, Minneapolis, MN, 1999.
- “Appropriating the Ground Line”. Paper presented at the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture national meeting, Cleveland, OH, 1998.
925,000 Campsites: The Commodification of an American Experience. Solo exhibit:
- Parsons School of Design (2016)
- University of Southern California (2016)
- University of Georgia (2015)
- Ball State University (2015)
- University of Nebraska (2014)
- University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (2014)
- Washington University in St-Louis (2014)
- University of Colorado (2014)
- Penn State University (2014)
- WUHO Gallery, Los Angeles (2014)
- University of California at Pomona (2014)
- SUNY ESF (2013)
- Cornell University (2013)
Vive la ville! Centre d'exposition de l'Université de Montréal, 30 January-17 March 2013. Group Exhibit.
Un-Privileged Views. WUHO Gallery (School of Architecture, Woodbury University), Los Angeles, March 3-25, 2012. Group exhibit.
The Bonneville Salt Flats and the Land Speed Record, 1935-1970. Solo exhibit:
- University of Utah (2011)
- Center for Land Use Interpretation (2008–2011)
[Fake] Fake Estates: Reconsidering Gordon Matta-Clark’s Fake Estates. Solo exhibit:
- William Smith and Hobart Colleges (2011)
- Texas Tech University (2008)
- University of Arkansas (2008)
- University of Texas at Arlington (2008)
- University of Texas at Austin (2007)
- Ohio State University (2007)
- Urban Center- New York (2006–2007)
- University at Buffalo (2006)
- Syracuse University (2006)
- Drilling Deep: 7 Years of Camping Research. Cornell University Department of Landscape Architecture, 20 September 2017.Public lecture.
- After Drawing. South Dakota State University, Department of Architecture, 27 April 2017. Public lecture.
- Thirtyfour Campgrounds. Van Alen Institute, 23 February 2017. Book talk.
- 18 Minutes. University of Southern California School of Architecture, 21 March 2016. Gallery talk.
- 4 Drawings. California State Polytechnic University at Pomona, College of Environmental Design, Department of Landscape Architecture, 31 October 2014. Public lecture.
- From Site to Campsite. California State Polytechnic University at Pomona, College of Environmental Design, 30 October 2014. Gallery talk.
- 925,000 Campsites: A Conversation with Peter Bodgett, Terry Young, and Martin Hogue. Panel discussion held for opening of 925,000 Campsites exhibit at WUHO gallery, Los Angeles, 5 October 2014.
- 4 Drawings. Penn State University, 27 August 2014. Public lecture.
- 925,000 Campsites. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Temple Hoyne Buell Halll Gallery, College of Applied+Fine Arts, 2 april 2014. Gallery talk.
- 4 Drawings. Washington University in St-Louis, 19 March 2014. Public lecture.
- 4 Drawings. University of Nebraska at Lincoln, 7 Februray 2014. Public lecture.
- 925,000 Campsites. Cornell University, John Hartell Gallery, College of Architecture, Art and Planning, 21 October 2013. Gallery talk.
- Films That Look Like Drawings (Drawings that Look Like Films). Illinois Institute of Technology, Department of Landscape Architecture, March 4-5, 2011. Public lecture and workshop.
- Technique : Landscape : Site. Keynote lecture, artfarm@sheldon symposium, University of Nebraska Sheldon Art Museum, February 29, 2008.
- Panning. Evening lecture series, University of Texas at Austin, School of Architecture, February 15, 2007.
- Panning. Evening lecture series, Ohio State University, Knowlton School of Architecture, January 24, 2007.