Senior Research Scientist
224 Baker Lab
1 Forestry Dr.
Syracuse, New York 13210
- M.S., 1987, State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY-ESF)
- Ph.D., 1991, Syracuse University
Adjunct Professor of Physical Chemistry, LeMoyne College, Syracuse, NY 2003-2004
Senior Research Scientist, The Michael Szwarc Polymer Research Institute, State University of New York. 2012-Present
Senior Research Scientist, State University of New York -ESF. 1991-present
Dr. Yuan’s research interests includes: Electrochemistry, Electrochemical Synthesis, Fuel Cell, Hydrogen Storage Surface Chemistry, and Polymer Science. She has be Co-principle investigate of variety of projects including: Rechargeable batteries (NiMO), Radiopaque Adhesives and Restorative Resins (NIH), PEM fuel cells, Electropolymerization (DOE), Electrochemical Reformation of Bio-mass, Nanostructured Activated Carbon for Hydrogen Storage (DOE). Her work involves extensive use of state of the art technology such as AFM, TEM, SEM. PA-FTIR, Autosob-1.
- Israel Cabasso, Suoding Li, Xinwei Wang and Youxin Yuan, "Controlled thermal decomposition of aromatic polyethers to attain nanoporous carbon materials with enhanced gas storage" RSC/Advance [DOI: 10.1039/c2ra20057k] (2012).
- Y.Yuan, F. Johnson, I. Cabasso, "Polybenzimidazole (PBI) Molecular Weight and Mark-Houwink Equation," J. Applied Polymer Science, 112(6) p3437-3441, (2009).
- Y. Yuan, I. Cabasso, and H. Liu, "Surface Morphology of Nanostructured Polymer-Based Activated Carbons," J. Phys. Chem. B 112 (46) p14364-14372, (2008).
- I. Cabasso, Y. Yuan, X. Wang, "Mechanism and Characterization of Alkylene- and p-Ethylenebenzylene-Spaced Polycarbosilanes Ceramic Precursor Synthesized by Electropolymerization" J. Polymer Sci: Part A: Polym. Chem. 46 p7677-7689(2008).
- X. Wang, Y.Yuan, D. Graiver, and I.Cabasso, "Electrosynthesis of Linear and Branched Methylene-Bridged Oligo- and Polycarbosilanes" Macromolecules, 40 (11) p3939-3950, (2007).
- I. Cabasso and Y. Yuan, "Modified Polybenzimidazoles, the Type of Membranes Based on Polyphophonic Acid for PEM Fuel Cells" Electrochem. Society Trans., 11 p55-64 (2007).
- X. Wang, Y. Yuan, and I Cabasso, "Electrosynthesis of Oligo- and Polysilanes Using a Modified Gas Diffusion Hydrogen Anode" J. Electrochemical Solid-Sate Letter, 9 (12) p D34-D37, (2006).
- X. Wang, I. Cabasso, Y. Yuan, "Cyclic Voltammetric Study of Electroreduction of Dichlorosilans" J. Electrochemical Soc. 152 (8) pE259-E264, (2005).
- I. Cabasso, F. Johnson, Y. Yuan, "Modified Polymenzimadazole Type Membranes for PEM Fuel Cell" AIChE Annual Meeting Repints p.83-89, (2003).
- I. Cabasso, F. Johnson, C. Mittelsteadt, H. Liu, Y. Yuan, " New Membranes for PEM Fuel Cell," 199th Meeting of the Electrochemical Society (2001).
- I. Cabasso, F. Johnson, Y. Yuan, " High Temperature PEM Fuel Cell Membranes and MEA," Annual AICHE Meeting (2001).
- I. Cabasso and Y. Yuan "Nanoparticles in Polymer and Polymer Dendrimers," in Nanoparticles in Solids and Solutions, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Eds., J. Fendler and I. Dekany, pp. 131-153 (1996).
- LeRoux, J.D., D.R Paul. Y. Yuan and I. Cabasso "Modification of asymmetric polysulfone membranes by mild surface fluorination," J. Membr. Sci., 94, 143-162 (1994).
- LeRoux, J.D., D.R.Paul, M. Arendt, Y. Yuan and I. Cabasso "Surface fluorination of poly(phenylene oxide) composite membranes. Part II. Characterization of the fluorinated layer," J. Membr. Sci., 90, 37-53 (1994).
- Yuan, Y., J.H. Fendler and I. Cabasso "Photoelectron Transfer Mediated by Size-Quantized CdS Particles in Polymer-Blend Membranes," Chem. Mater., 4, No. 2, 312 (1992).
- Particulate Films at Oriented Mono- and Poly(vinylbenzyl) Phosphonate Interfaces and Their Yuan, Y., I. Cabasso and J.H. Fendler "Preparation of Ultrathin, Size Quantized Semiconductor Characterization on Solids," Chemistry of Materials, 2, 226 (1990).
- Yuan, Y., I. Cabasso, and J.H. Fendler "Size-Quantized Semiconductor-Particle Mediated Photoelectron Transfer in Ultrathin, Phosphonate-Functionalized, Polymer-Blend Membranes, "Macromolecules, 23, 3198 (1990).
- Khan, Ishrat M., Y. Yuan, D. Fish, and J. Smid "Comblike Polysiloxanes with Oligo(Oxyethylene) Side Chains. Synthesis and Properties," Macromolecules, 21, 2684 (1988).
List of Patents
- Youxin Yuan, "Functionized Porous Poly(Aryl Ether Ketone) Materials and Their Use" US Patent 7,368,526 (2008).
- Y.Yuan, "Preparation of Porous Poly(aryl ether ketone) Membranes Process for Their Preparation and Use Thereof" US Patent7,176,273 (2007).
- Y. Yuan, "Preparation of Porous Poly(aryl ether) Articles and Use Thereof" US Patent 7,229,580 (2007).
- I. Cabasso, F. Johnson, Y.Yuan, "Modified Polybenzimadazole (PBI) Membranes for Enhanced Polymer Electrochemical Cells" US. Patent 6,987,163 (2006).
- I. Cabasso, H. Liu, S. Li, Y. Yuan, "Novel Carbon Materials and Carbon/Carbon Composites Based on Modified Poly(phenylene ether) for Energy Production and Storage Devices, and Methods of making Them" U.S. Patent Application No. 2003016178 (2003).
- I. Cabasso, C. Mittelsteadt and Y. Yuan, "Blend Membranes Based on Sulfonated Poly (phenylene oxide) for Enhanced Polymer Elelctrochemical Cells)," U.S. Patent 6,103,414 (2000).
- I. Cabasso, C. Mittelsteadt and Y. Yuan, "Blend Membranes based on Sulfonated poly(phenylene oxide) for enhanced polymer electrochemical cells," U.S. Pat. 5,989,742 (1999).
- I. Cabasso and Y. Yuan, U.S. "Gas Diffusion Electrodes Based on poly(vinylidene fluoride) Carbon Blends," US Patent Pat. 5,783,325 (1998).