FOR 345/545 - Fall 2016 Instructor Vital Statistics
Dr. Russell Briggs, Distinguished Teaching Professor
Department of Forest and Natural Resources Management
Director of the Division of Environmental Science
202 Baker Hall (315) 470-6989
EMAIL Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Most Recent Publications
- Long-term Site Productivity
- Impacts of Forest Management on Forest Nutrient Cycling
- Forestry and Agricultural BMP Impacts on Water Quality
- Forest Site Classification
- Lawrence, G.B., I.J. Fernandez, P.W. Hazlett, S.W. Bailey, D.S. Ross, T.R. Villars, A. Quintana, R. Ouimet, M.R. McHale, C.E. Johnson, R.D. Briggs, R.A> Colter, J. Siemion, O.L. Bartlett, O. Vargas,
M.R> Antidormi, and M.M. Koppers. 2016. Methods of resampling to monitor changes in the chemical concentrations of forest soils. J. Visualized Experiments. Available at: http://www.jove.com/video/54815.
- McKinley, D.C. A.J. Miller-Rushing, H.L. Ballard, R. Bonney, H. Brown, S.C. Cook-Patton, D.M. Evans, R.A. French, J.K. Parrish, T.B. Phillips, S.F. Ryan, L.A. Shanley, J.L. Shirk, K.F. Stepenuck, J.F. Weltzin,
A. Wiggins, O.D. Boyle, R.D. Briggs, S.F. Chapin III, D.A. Hewitt, P.W. Preuss, and M.A. Soukup. 2016. Citizen science can improve conservation science, natural resource management and environmental protection.
Conservation Biology, Available online 21 June 2016.
- McKinley, D.C. A.J. Miller-Rushing, H.L. Ballard, R. Bonney, H. Brown, D.M. Evans, R.A. French, J.K. Parrish, T.B. Phillips, S.F. Ryan, L.A. Shanley, J.L. Shirk, K.F. Stepenuck, J.F. Weltzin, A. Wiggins, O.D. Boyle, R.D. Briggs, S.F. Chapin III, D.A. Hewitt,
P.W. Preuss, and M.A. Soukup. 2015. Investing in citizen science can improve natural resource management and environmental protection? Issues in Ecology. Report No. 19. Fall 2015. The
Ecological Society of America. 27 pp.
- D.S. Ross, D.S., S.W. Bailey, R.D. Briggs, J. Curry, I.J. Fernandez, G. Fredriksen, C.L. Goodale, P.W. Hazlett, P.R. Heine, C.E. Johnson, J.T. Larson, G.B. Lawrence, R.K. Kolka, R. Ouimet, D. Paré, D.D. Richter, C.D. Schirmer, R.A. Warby. 2015.
Inter-laboratory variation in the chemical analysis of acidic forest soil reference samples from eastern North America. Ecosphere. 6(5):73. http://dx.doi.org/10.1890/ES14-00209.1
- Pacaldo, R. S., T.A. Volk, and R.D. Briggs. 2014. Carbon sequestration in fine roots and foliage biomass offests soil CO2 effluxes along a 19-year chronosequence of shrub willow (Salix x dasayclados) biomass crops. Biomass and Bioenergy. 58:136-142.
- Pacaldo, R.S., T.A. Volk, R.D. Briggs, L. Abrahamson, E.Bevilacqua, and E. Fabio. 2014. Soil CO2 effluxes, temporal and spatial variations, and root respiration in shrub
willow biomass crops fields along a 19-year chronosequence as affected by regrowth and removal treatments. GCB Bioenergy 6(5):488-498.
- Pradhanang, S.M. and R.D. Briggs. 2014. Effects of critical source area on sediment yield and streamflow. Water and Env. J. 28(2): 222-232
- McKinley, D.C., R.D. Briggs, and A.M. Bartuska. 2013. When peer-reviewed publications are not enough! Delivering science for natural resource management. Forest Policy and Economics. 37:9-19.
- Pacaldo, R. S., T.A. Volk, and R.D. Briggs. 2013. No significant differences in soil organic carbon contents along a chronosequence of shrub willow biomass crop fields. Bioenergy Research 7(3):769-776.
- Pacaldo, R.S., T.A. Volk, and R.D. Briggs. 2013. Greenhouse gas potentials of shrub willow biomass crops based on below- and aboveground biomass inventory along a 19-year
chronosequence. Bioenergy Research. 6(1):252-262.
- Kroll, S.A., N.H Ringler, J. De las Heras, J.J. Goméz-Alday, A. Moratalla, and R.D. Briggs. 2012. Analysis of anthropogenic pressures in the Segura Watershed (SE Spain), with a focus
on inter-basin transfer. Ecohydrol. published online: 20 SEP 2012 DOI: 10.1002/eco.1311
- Tumwebaze, S.B., E. Bevilacqua, R.D. Briggs, and T. Volk. 2013. Allometric biomass equations for tree species used in agroforestry systems in Uganda, Agroforest. Syst.
Published Online 17 Feb. 2013.
- Tumwebaze, S.B., E. Bevilaqua, R.D. Briggs, and T.A. Volk. 2012. Soil organic carbon under a linear simultaneous agroforestry system in Uganda., Agroforestry Systems. 84:11-23.
- Briggs, R.D., and T.H. Horton. 2011. Chapter 6: Out of sight, underground: forest health,
edaphic factors, and mycorrhizae. In: Forest Health: An Integrated Perspective, (ed).
John D. Castello and Stephen A. Teale. Cambridge University Press. 163-194.
- Fatemi, F.R., R.D. Yanai, S.P. Hamburg, M.A. Vadeboncoeur, M.A. Arthur, R.D. Briggs, and
C.R. Levine. 2011. Allometric equations for young northern hardwoods: the importance of age-specific equations for estimating aboveground biomass. Can. J. For. Res. 41: 881-891
- Slesak, R.A. and R.D. Briggs. 2010.
Foliar mass and nutrition of Abies concolor Christmas trees following application of organic and Inorganic fertilizer.
North J. Appl. For. 27(1):28-33.
- Briggs, R.D. Soils of the Adirondacks: Out of Site, Out of Mind. 2009. In: W.F. Porter , J.D. Erickson, and R.S. Whaley (eds.).
The great experiment in conservation: voices from the Adirondack Park. Chapt. 3, Syracuse University Press, Syracuse NY.
- Briggs, R.D. 2008. Soils and nutrition:A forest nursery perspective. In: R.K. Dumroese and L.E.
Riley (tech. coords). National Proceedings Forest and Conservation Nursery Associations
2007. pp 55-64. USDA Forest Service Rocky Mt. Res. Stn., PROC. RMRS-P-57.
- Homyak, P.M., R.D. Yanai, D.A. Burns, R.D. Briggs, and R.H. Germain. 2008. Nitrogen immobilization by wood-chip application:
Protecting water quality in a northern hardwood forest. For. Ecol. Manage. 255: 2589-2601.
- Young, E.O., and R.D. Briggs. 2008. Phosphorus concentrations in soil and subsurface water: a field study among cropland and riparian buffers.
J. Env. Qual. 37:69-78.
- Mayfield, A.E., D.C. Allen, and R.D. Briggs. 2007. Site and stand conditions associated with pine false webworm populations and damage
in mature eastern white pine plantations. North. J. Appl. For. 24(3):168-176.
- Slesak, R.A., and R.D. Briggs. 2007. Christmas tree response to N fertilization and the
development of critical foliar N levels in New York. North. J. Appl. For. 24(3):209-217
- Young, E., and R.D. Briggs. 2007. Nitrogen Dynamics Among Cropland and Riparian Buffers: Soil-Landscape Influences.
J. Env. Qual. 36:801-814.
- Young, E.O., and R.D. Briggs. 2005. Shallow ground water nitrate-N and ammonium-N in
cropland and riparian buffers. Ag. Ecosystems Environ. 109: 297-309.
- Mayfield, A.E., D.C. Allen, and R.D. Briggs. 2005 Radial growth impact of pine false webworm
defoliation on eastern white pine. Can. J. For. Res. 35(5): 1071-1086.
- Briggs, R.D. 2004. Soils and Site - The Forest Floor. In: Encyclopedia of Forest Sciences
(ed) J. Burley, J. Evans, and J. Youngquist, Elsevier Ltd. p. 1223-1226.
- Gilmore, D.W., and R.D. Briggs. 2003. A stocking guide for European larch in eastern North
America. North. J. Appl. For. 20(1):34-38.
- Adegbidi, H.G., R.D. Briggs, E.H. White, L.P. Abrahamson, and T.A. Volk. 2003. Effect of
organic amendments and slow-release nitrogen fertilizer on willow stem biomass production and
soil chemical characteristics. Biomass and Bioenergy 25:389-398.
- Adegbidi, H.G.,and R.D. Briggs. 2003. Nitrogen Mineralization of Sewage Sludge and
Composted Poultry Manure Applied to Willow in a Greenhouse Experiment. Biomass and
- Adegbidi, H.G., T.A. Volk, E.H. White, L.P. Abrahamson, R.D. Briggs, and D.H.Bickelhaupt.
2001. Biomass and nutrient removal by willow clones in experimental bioenergy
plantations in New York State. Biomass and Bioenergy
- Briggs, R.D., J. W. Hornbeck, C.T. Smith, R.C. Lemin, Jr., and M.L. McCormack, Jr. 2000
Long-term effects of forest management on nutrient cycling in spruce-fir forests.
For. Ecol. Manage. 138:285-299.
- Fernandez, I.J., F.A. Simmons, and R.D. Briggs. 2000. Indices of forest floor nitrogen status
along a climate gradient in Maine, USA. For. Ecol. Manage. 134:177-187.
- Nyland, R.D., D.G. Ray, R.D. Yanai, R.D. Briggs, L. Zhang, R.J. Cymbala, and M.J. Twery.
2000. Early cohort development following even-age reproduction method cuttings in New York
northern hardwoods. Can. J. For. Res. 30: 67-75.
- Schuler, J.L., and R.D. Briggs. 2000 Assessing Application and Effectiveness of Forestry
Best Management Practices in New York. North. J. Appl. For. 17(4):125-134.
- Briggs, R.D., A.J. Kimball, and J. Cormier. 1998. Assessing compliance with BMPs on
harvested sites in Maine. North. J. Appl. For. 15(2):57-68.
Updated Last on Sept. 12, 2016
SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry