FOR 345/545 - Fall 2015 Instructor Vital Statistics
Dr. Russell Briggs, Distinguished Teaching Professor
Department of Forest and Natural Resources Management
Director of the Division of Environmental Science
358 Illick Hall (315) 470-6989
EMAIL Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Most Recent Publications
- Long-term Site Productivity
- Impacts of Forest Management on Forest Nutrient Cycling
- Forestry and Agricultural BMP Impacts on Water Quality
- Forest Site Classification
- McKinley, D.C. A.J. Miller-Rushing, H.L. Ballard, R. Bonney, H. Brown, D.M. Evans, R.A. French, J.K. Parrish, T.B. Phillips, S.F. Ryan, L.A. Shanley, J.L. Shirk, K.F. Stepenuck, J.F. Weltzin, A. Wiggins, O.D. Boyle, R.D. Briggs, S.F. Chapin III, D.A. Hewitt,
P.W. Preuss, and M.A. Soukup. 2015. Can Investing in citizen science improve natural resource management and environmental protection? Issues in Ecology. Accepted
- D.S. Ross, D.S., S.W. Bailey, R.D. Briggs, J. Curry, I.J. Fernandez, G. Fredriksen, C.L. Goodale, P.W. Hazlett, P.R. Heine, C.E. Johnson, J.T. Larson, G.B. Lawrence, R.K. Kolka, R. Ouimet, D. Paré, D.D. Richter, C.D. Schirmer, R.A. Warby. 2015.
Inter-laboratory variation in the chemical analysis of acidic forest soil reference samples from eastern North America. Ecosphere. 6(5):73. http://dx.doi.org/10.1890/ES14-00209.1
- Pacaldo, R. S., T.A. Volk, and R.D. Briggs. 2014. Carbon sequestration in fine roots and foliage biomass offests soil CO2 effluxes along a 19-year chronosequence of shrub willow (Salix x dasayclados) biomass crops. Biomass and Bioenergy. 58:136-142.
- Pacaldo, R.S., T.A. Volk, R.D. Briggs, L. Abrahamson, E.Bevilacqua, and E. Fabio. 2014. Soil CO2 effluxes, temporal and spatial variations, and root respiration in shrub
willow biomass crops fields along a 19-year chronosequence as affected by regrowth and removal treatments. GCB Bioenergy 6(5):488-498.
- Pradhanang, S.M. and R.D. Briggs. 2014. Effects of critical source area on sediment yield and streamflow. Water and Env. J. 28(2): 222-232
- McKinley, D.C., R.D. Briggs, and A.M. Bartuska. 2013. When peer-reviewed publications are not enough! Delivering science for natural resource management. Forest Policy and Economics. 37:9-19.
- Pacaldo, R. S., T.A. Volk, and R.D. Briggs. 2013. No significant differences in soil organic carbon contents along a chronosequence of shrub willow biomass crop fields. Bioenergy Research 7(3):769-776.
- Pacaldo, R.S., T.A. Volk, and R.D. Briggs. 2013. Greenhouse gas potentials of shrub willow biomass crops based on below- and aboveground biomass inventory along a 19-year
chronosequence. Bioenergy Research. 6(1):252-262.
- Kroll, S.A., N.H Ringler, J. De las Heras, J.J. Goméz-Alday, A. Moratalla, and R.D. Briggs. 2012. Analysis of anthropogenic pressures in the Segura Watershed (SE Spain), with a focus
on inter-basin transfer. Ecohydrol. published online: 20 SEP 2012 DOI: 10.1002/eco.1311
- Tumwebaze, S.B., E. Bevilacqua, R.D. Briggs, and T. Volk. 2013. Allometric biomass equations for tree species used in agroforestry systems in Uganda, Agroforest. Syst.
Published Online 17 Feb. 2013.
- Pacaldo, R.S., T.A. Volk, and R.D. Briggs. 2012. Greenhouse gas potentials of shrub willow biomass crops based on below- and aboveground biomass inventory along a 19-year chronosequence.
Bioenergy Research. Published online Sept. 15 2012.
- Tumwebaze, S.B., E. Bevilaqua, R.D. Briggs, and T.A. Volk. 2012. Soil organic carbon under a linear simultaneous agroforestry system in Uganda., Agroforestry Systems. 84:11-23.
- Briggs, R.D., and T.H. Horton. 2011. Chapter 6: Out of sight, underground: forest health,
edaphic factors, and mycorrhizae. In: Forest Health: An Integrated Perspective, (ed).
John D. Castello and Stephen A. Teale. Cambridge University Press. 163-194.
- Fatemi, F.R., R.D. Yanai, S.P. Hamburg, M.A. Vadeboncoeur, M.A. Arthur, R.D. Briggs, and
C.R. Levine. 2011. Allometric equations for young northern hardwoods: the importance of age-specific equations for estimating aboveground biomass. Can. J. For. Res. 41: 881-891
- Slesak, R.A. and R.D. Briggs. 2010.
Foliar mass and nutrition of Abies concolor Christmas trees following application of organic and Inorganic fertilizer.
North J. Appl. For. 27(1):28-33.
- Briggs, R.D. Soils of the Adirondacks: Out of Site, Out of Mind. 2009. In: W.F. Porter , J.D. Erickson, and R.S. Whaley (eds.).
The great experiment in conservation: voices from the Adirondack Park. Chapt. 3, Syracuse University Press, Syracuse NY.
- Briggs, R.D. 2008. Soils and nutrition:A forest nursery perspective. In: R.K. Dumroese and L.E.
Riley (tech. coords). National Proceedings Forest and Conservation Nursery Associations
2007. pp 55-64. USDA Forest Service Rocky Mt. Res. Stn., PROC. RMRS-P-57.
- Homyak, P.M., R.D. Yanai, D.A. Burns, R.D. Briggs, and R.H. Germain. 2008. Nitrogen immobilization by wood-chip application:
Protecting water quality in a northern hardwood forest. For. Ecol. Manage. 255: 2589-2601.
- Young, E.O., and R.D. Briggs. 2008. Phosphorus concentrations in soil and subsurface water: a field study among cropland and riparian buffers.
J. Env. Qual. 37:69-78.
- Mayfield, A.E., D.C. Allen, and R.D. Briggs. 2007. Site and stand conditions associated with pine false webworm populations and damage
in mature eastern white pine plantations. North. J. Appl. For. 24(3):168-176.
- Slesak, R.A., and R.D. Briggs. 2007. Christmas tree response to N fertilization and the
development of critical foliar N levels in New York. North. J. Appl. For. 24(3):209-217
- Young, E., and R.D. Briggs. 2007. Nitrogen Dynamics Among Cropland and Riparian Buffers: Soil-Landscape Influences.
J. Env. Qual. 36:801-814.
- Young, E.O., and R.D. Briggs. 2005. Shallow ground water nitrate-N and ammonium-N in
cropland and riparian buffers. Ag. Ecosystems Environ. 109: 297-309.
- Mayfield, A.E., D.C. Allen, and R.D. Briggs. 2005 Radial growth impact of pine false webworm
defoliation on eastern white pine. Can. J. For. Res. 35(5): 1071-1086.
- Briggs, R.D. 2004. Soils and Site - The Forest Floor. In: Encyclopedia of Forest Sciences
(ed) J. Burley, J. Evans, and J. Youngquist, Elsevier Ltd. p. 1223-1226.
- Gilmore, D.W., and R.D. Briggs. 2003. A stocking guide for European larch in eastern North
America. North. J. Appl. For. 20(1):34-38.
- Adegbidi, H.G., R.D. Briggs, E.H. White, L.P. Abrahamson, and T.A. Volk. 2003. Effect of
organic amendments and slow-release nitrogen fertilizer on willow stem biomass production and
soil chemical characteristics. Biomass and Bioenergy 25:389-398.
- Adegbidi, H.G.,and R.D. Briggs. 2003. Nitrogen Mineralization of Sewage Sludge and
Composted Poultry Manure Applied to Willow in a Greenhouse Experiment. Biomass and
- Adegbidi, H.G., T.A. Volk, E.H. White, L.P. Abrahamson, R.D. Briggs, and D.H.Bickelhaupt.
2001. Biomass and nutrient removal by willow clones in experimental bioenergy
plantations in New York State. Biomass and Bioenergy
- Briggs, R.D., J. W. Hornbeck, C.T. Smith, R.C. Lemin, Jr., and M.L. McCormack, Jr. 2000
Long-term effects of forest management on nutrient cycling in spruce-fir forests.
For. Ecol. Manage. 138:285-299.
- Fernandez, I.J., F.A. Simmons, and R.D. Briggs. 2000. Indices of forest floor nitrogen status
along a climate gradient in Maine, USA. For. Ecol. Manage. 134:177-187.
- Nyland, R.D., D.G. Ray, R.D. Yanai, R.D. Briggs, L. Zhang, R.J. Cymbala, and M.J. Twery.
2000. Early cohort development following even-age reproduction method cuttings in New York
northern hardwoods. Can. J. For. Res. 30: 67-75.
- Schuler, J.L., and R.D. Briggs. 2000 Assessing Application and Effectiveness of Forestry
Best Management Practices in New York. North. J. Appl. For. 17(4):125-134.
- Briggs, R.D., A.J. Kimball, and J. Cormier. 1998. Assessing compliance with BMPs on
harvested sites in Maine. North. J. Appl. For. 15(2):57-68.
Updated Last on May 15, 2015
SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry