1. To understand soil function at two scales:
- Global scale - biogeochemical membrane
- Local scale - interaction of physical, chemical and biological properties;
2. To understand soil formation and distribution across the landscape;
3. To define, describe, measure and effectively communicate:
- soil morphological features in situ (explored in field labs)
- soil physical, chemical, biological properties (explored in bench labs);
4. To understand how to manage / mediate human impacts on the soil system in order to promote sustainability.