Support for the users of GIS is divided into the following topics: GIS Data Sources (NY, US Goverment, United Nations, Commercial)) GPS, and Remote Sensing, and Software (Home, Help files) those topics are linked to the appropiate topic areas within this page.
- New YorkData Sources
- NY State GIS Clearing house (data and other information regarding GIS in NYS. Some layers require a password to download. You can obtain the College's password from... TBD.)
- NY DOT quad sheets Note that USGS and NY DOT quad names are not always the same and this can cause major confusion.
- US Government Agencies
- FGDC (Federal Geographic Data
- USDA Geospatial Gateway
- US Census Bureau TIGER data (mostly line data)
- NRCS (Natural Resouces Conservation Service) GeoSpatial Gateway
- Hydrologic units, Topographic images, Map indexes (1/12k, 1/24k, 1/25k,1/100k,1 degree by state), Elevation (10 & 30 m), ortho imagry, Geographic names, land use land cover, Soils, Temperature,
- EPA Spatail data (Air, Air Quality, Chemikcals, Cleanup, Climate change, Hazardous waste, Health assesment, Health effects, Health risks,Monitoring, Pesticides, Soil & land, Surface water, Wastes, Watersheds, Water)
- US Forest Service FSGeodata Clearinghouse (Rster and Vector data for National Forests, Sate and Private Forestry Assessment Data, Forest Service maps, + other resources).
- National Park Service Geography and Mapping Technologies site,
- United Nations
- Environment Programme Geo Data Portal - 450 data sets covering themes like water, population, forests, etc. at national, sub regional, regional, and global statistics.
- Other States
- Commercial Data Sources
- GIS Data Depot (Both free
data and data for $$, small scale National and International data)
Sources of Help
To be developed