Current F-1 Students
Have an idea, recommendation or critique? Leave us a note in the OIE Suggestion Box!
Welcome to the The Office of International Education (OIE)!!! We are the primary on-campus immigration resource available to the ESF international student community. We assist international students with maintaining status and adhering to U.S. immigration laws by providing advice regarding immigration regulations and various immigration–related topics such as employment and travel.
OIE provides all immigration document services including initial I-20's, SEVIS transfer I-20's and document updates (e.g., I-20 extensions) for active students. We also host a multitude of events for international students throughout the year! Check out our calendar for more information!
- University Police - 315-470-6666
- Health and Counseling Services - 315-470-6660
- Graduate School - 315-470-6978
- Career Services - 315-470-6900
- Registrar - 315-470-6655
- Moon Library - 315-470-6711
- Writing Center - 315-470-6756
- Student Support - 315-470-6660
- What is F-1 Status?
Immigration information for our international community and how to maintain valid F-1 status while at and after ESF.
- How do I do SEVIS Registration?
All F-1 students are required to do SEVIS Registration IN THE FIRST 10 DAYS OF EVERY SEMESTER.
- How do I Get a:
- I Need to Extend My I-20...
Not going to graduate based upon your program date on your I-20? Learn how to apply for an I-20 extension and what forms you will need to submit.
- What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?
CPT is temporary work authorization for an internship or professional excperience... learn how to apply!
- What is Optional Practical Training (OPT)?
OPT is temporary employment authorization for practical training for a cumulative maximum of 12 months.
- What is 24-Month STEM OPT Extension?
Did you know you can extend OPT by up to 24 months if you fall under a STEM category? 24-Month STEM OPT Extension extends your current OPT, but be careful, there is a long application process.
Learn how to apply, the time-line for doing so, and what paperwork is needed. This extension is only once per student regardless of degree level.
- Can I Bring a Dependent (F-2)?
Yes! There is a process, and it can take some time, but yes you can! Click this link to find out what is required and how you can apply for an F-2 visa for either a spouse or a child.
The Office of International Education reserves the right to a one-week time frame for reviewing and processing of any submitted requests. Student should anticipate OIE to take the full week and should expect to submit documents early in order to avoid potential complications.
Important F-1 Links
- Maintaining F-1 Status
- Full-Time Enrollment Requirement
- Updating your Address & SEVIS Information
- SUNY Health Insurance Requirement
- On-Campus Employment
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- 24 Month STEM OPT Extension
- Cap-Gap I-20 Extension
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Process
- Social Security Numbers (SSN)
- Taxes (Federal & State Income)
- Requesting a New I-20/ I-20 Update
- Extension of I-20 Program End Date
- Study Abroad or Research Outside the U.S.
- Taking Courses at Another School
- Taking Courses Online
- Probation and Suspension
- Leave of Absence or Withdrawal from ESF
- Transfer-Out of SEVIS Record
- Change of Status
- Bringing a Dependent
- Inviting a Relative/ Friend to Visit
- Your Legal Rights
- Cultural Adjustment
- Living in Syracuse, NY
- Housing Information
- Academics at ESF
- Student Affairs at ESF