e s f letters
e s f letters

Leave of Absence or Withdrawal from ESF

In order to take a leave-of-absence or withdraw from SUNY-ESF, you must:

  • Schedule an appointment to meet with the SUNY-ESF Assistant Dean for Student Affairs (Student Support) in 110 Bray Hall to begin the Change in Educational Plan process.
  • Submit a copy of your completed Change in Educational Plans Form to the Coordinator of International Education. Your SEVIS record will be terminated for the reason “authorized early withdrawal” on the effective date indicated on the form.
  • You must exit the U.S. within 15 days of the effective date noted on your Change in Educational Plans Form.
    • Failure to exit within this 15 day time frame would be considered an unlawful exit and may impact your ability to enter the U.S. in the future.

International students who take a leave-of-absence and wish to return to the College, must:

International students who have taken a leave-of-absence and wish to return to ESF, must:

  • Apply for readmission by contacting the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs (Student Support) in the Student Affairs office to file the appropriate paperwork
    • Readmittance is not processed by the Office of Instruction and Graduate Studies or the Office of Admissions.
  • Contact the Coordinator of International Education to indicate your intention to return to ESF
  • Submit financial evidence of the ability to meet all of the financial obligations which will be incurred while attending the College for the duration of the academic program to the Coordinator of International Education.

    In order to obtain an I-20 from ESF, a potential F-1 student must complete the “FSA-4 - Foreign Student Financial Statement Form” and submit credible documentary evidence that they have enough readily available funds to meet all expenses (tuition, fees, and living expenses) for the entire first year of study. (It is expected that barring unforeseen circumstances, students will have adequate funds available for each subsequent year of study from the same source or from one or more other specifically identified and reliable financial sources.)

    Documentation of sufficient funding may come from any combination of dependable sources, including: scholarships, assistantships, fellowships, sponsoring agencies, personal funds, or funds from a student's family.

    Documentation of scholarships, assistantships, and fellowships must be in the form of an official award letter from the school or sponsoring agency; documentation of personal or family funds should be on an official signed letter of support from the bank that includes the U.S. dollar amount of support and certified bank statements which indicate that the sponsor has sufficient funds to meet a student's first-year expenses at ESF (the bank statement does not have to show the full amount of the account), or in the form of a legally binding affidavit. The Form I-134, "Affidavit of Support," can be used to document support being provided by a U.S. citizen or U.S. legal permanent resident. Government-sponsored applicants should submit a certified copy of the award letter that includes the U.S. dollar amount of the award per year, the duration of the award, and a list of expenses covered by the award.

Additional Information