All international students are required to complete the SEVIS registration procedure within the first 10 days of each semester. This is to ensure that the required documents are placed on file at the Office of International Education (OIE) and for OIE to comply with the Federal immigration regulations to report necessary information about your status to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security via SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System).
- Read page two of your I-20 as well as the OIE information site titled "Maintaining Valid F-1 Status."
- Complete the SEVIS Registration Form.
- Schedule a meeting with OIE: Schedule A Meeting!
- Bring the following documents in person to a scheduled meeting with OIE:
- Completed SEVIS Registration Form
- Your I-20
- Your I-94 (Download here.)
- Your F-1 Visa (not applicable for Canadian citizens)
- Your Passport
- ESF ID
*Important: SEVIS Registration must be completed EVERY SEMESTER. For any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have an idea, recommendation or critique? Leave us a note in the OIE Suggestion Box!
***The Office of International Education reserves the right to a one-week time frame for reviewing and processing of any submitted requests. Student should anticipate OIE to take the full week and should expect to submit documents early in order to avoid potential complications.***
Important F-1 Links
- Maintaining F-1 Status
- Full-Time Enrollment Requirement
- Updating your Address & SEVIS Information
- SUNY Health Insurance Requirement
- On-Campus Employment
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- 24 Month STEM OPT Extension
- Cap-Gap I-20 Extension
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Process
- Social Security Numbers (SSN)
- Taxes (Federal & State Income)
- Requesting a New I-20/ I-20 Update
- Extension of I-20 Program End Date
- Study Abroad or Research Outside the U.S.
- Taking Courses at Another School
- Taking Courses Online
- Probation and Suspension
- Leave of Absence or Withdrawal from ESF
- Transfer-Out of SEVIS Record
- Change of Status
- Bringing a Dependent
- Inviting a Relative/ Friend to Visit
- Your Legal Rights
- Cultural Adjustment
- Living in Syracuse, NY
- Housing Information
- Academics at ESF
- Student Affairs at ESF