|ITS>Training & Consultation>Poster Design, Development and Production Resources|
|Poster Reference Resources|
Books, Journal Articles and Internet sites that may be helpful in planning your next poster.
A bibliography of books and journal articles available on campus at the F. Franklin Moon Library at SUNY ESF and the S.U. libraries
· Briscoe, M.H. 1996. Preparing Scientific Illustrations: A Guide to Better Posters, Presentations, and Publications, 2nd ed. Springer-Verlag, New York.
S.U. Sci/Tech Library 2nd ed. 1996 Q 222 .B75 1995
· Day, Robert A, 1998. How to Write & Publish a Scientific Paper, 5th ed. Westport : Greenwood Publishing Group, Incorporated.
F. Franklin Moon Library 5th ed. 1998 - Reserve T 11 .D33 1998
S.U. Geology Library 5th ed. 1998 - T 11 .D33 1998
· Day, Robert A, 1994. How to Write & Publish a Scientific Paper, 4th ed. Phoenix, Oryx Press.
Section to note: Chapter 25, "How to Prepare a Poster," p. 148-151.
F. Franklin Moon Library 4th ed. 1994 T 11 .D33 1994
· Davis, Martha. 1997. Scientific Papers and Presentations. San Francisco : Morgan Kaufmann Publishers.
Section to note: Chapter 17, "Poster Presentations," p. 174-185.
F. Franklin Moon Library T 11 .D 324 1997
S.U. Sci/Tech Library - T 11 .D 324 1997
· Dodd, Janet S. 1997. The ACS Style Guide: A Manual for Authors and Editors, 2nd ed. Washington : American Chemical Society.
Section to note: Chapter 2. Communicating in Other Formats: Posters, Tips for Effective Poster Presentations.
S.U. Sci/Tech Library 2nd ed. 1997 - Reference Room QD 8.5 .A25 1997
S.U. Sci/Tech Library 1st ed. 1986 - Reference Room QD 8.5 .A25 1997
F. Franklin Moon Library 1st ed. 1986 Reserve QD 8.5 .A25 1986
· Gosling, Peter J. 1999. Scientist's Guide to Poster Presentations. New York, NY : Kluwer Academic/Plenum Press.
F. Franklin Moon Library Reserve Q 179.94 .G67 1999
S.U. Sci/Tech Library Q 179.94 .G67 1999
· Hailman, Jack P. and Strier, Karen B. 1997. Planning, Proposing and Presenting Science effectively: A Guide for Graduate students and Researchers in the Behavioral Sciences and Biology. New York, Cambridge University Press.
S.U. Sci/Tech Library QH 315 .H25 1997
· Salisbury, Frank B. 1996 Units, symbols, and Terminology for Plant Physiology: A Reference for Presentation of Research Results in the Plant Sciences. New York : Oxford University Press.
Sections to note: "Some Suggestions about Scientific Writing," Frank B. Salisbury. p. 163-187
"Standards for Effective Presentations," Ross E. Loning, p. 188-201 includes section on Poster Presentations, p. 195-197
F. Franklin Moon Library Reserve QK 710.5 .U55 1996
· Tufte, E.R. 1983. The Visual Display of Quantitative Information. Graphics Press, Connecticut.
S.U. Sci/Tech Library QA 276.3 .T83 1997 (reprint of 1983 ed.)
S.U. Law Library - QA 276.3 .T83 1983
· Block, S.M. 1996."Do's and Don'ts of Poster Presentation," Biophysical Journal. Vol. 71, no. 6, p. 3527-3529.
Sci/Tech Library QH 505 .B61
· Hartman, Kyle J. 1996 "Designing Effective Poster Presentations." Fisheries Vol. 21, no. 7, p. 22.
F. Franklin Moon Library F 562
· McCann, Jean. 2000. News - Poster Presentations Come of Age at Scientific Meetings. The Scientist. Vol. 14, no. 21, p. 8.
F. Franklin Moon Library Available electronically in full text via the librarys local catalog.
A bibliography of books and journal articles not available on campus, however items can be requested via the F. Franklin Moon Librarys Interlibrary loan service.
· Bernard S. Brown. 1997. "Poster Design: Six Points to Ponder," Biochemical Education. Vol. 25, no. 3, p. 136-137.
· Johns, Martin. 1998. Planning and producing scientific posters The Journal of audiovisual media in medicine. Vol. 21, no. 1, p. 13.
· Pechenik, Jan A. 2001. A Short Guide to Writing about Biology, 4th ed. New York : Longman.
· Pechenik, Jan A. 1997. A Short Guide to Writing about Biology, 3rd ed. New York : Longman.
Section to note: Chapter 12, "Writing a Poster Presentation," p. 258-265.
INTERNET SITES (UNIVERSITIES, SOCIETIES AND ORGANIZATION SITES)
· University at Buffalo - The State University of New York - Biological Sciences in the Science and Engineering Library.
Content of site: Designing Effective Poster Presentations.
· Swarthmore College (Pennsylvania)
of site: Division of Natural Sciences and posters - advice for constructing
· The Soil Science Society of America
Content of site: Tips for putting together presentable posters.
· American Society of Plant Physiologists
Content of site: Education Resources - How to Make a Great Poster.
Content of site: Poster Design and Typography.
· University of Guelph (Canada)
Content of site: Guidelines for Effective Poster Design.
· University of Sydney
Content of site: Creating Poster Displays - Centre for Teaching and Learning Information Sheet.
· Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics.
Content of site: How to Prepare a Poster.
· University of Minnesota
Content of site: Preparing professional scientific posters.
NOTE: All citations (books, journal articles and Internet sites verified January 2001)
Copyright © 2003 SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry. All rights reserved.