Moon Library Policies
Moon Library accepts gifts to its collection on an unrestricted basis. Those wishing to give books and other materials to the Moon Library are asked to follow these guidelines. For further information contact Stephen Weiter, Director of College Libraries at 315-470-6715 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Arranging donations:
- All arrangements for gifts to Moon Library should be made with the Director of College Libraries.
- Donors are requested to inform the Library in advance that a potential gift is being offered. The Library can generally not accept gifts without prior notification.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse materials which are inappropriate for the Library’s collection, obsolete, duplicate materials in the collection or are in questionable physical condition. Potential gifts are evaluated according to the Library Guidelines for Collection Development.
- The Library staff can not make on site evaluations of potential gifts. Thorough evaluation of gifts requires the use of library catalogs and files. Lists of proposed gifts, which may be checked against the Library’s holdings, are preferable.
- The donor must arrange for delivery of gifts to the Library. The Library will be happy to offer advice about means of delivery.
- The legal and tax complications of appraisals and the fact that the Internal Revenue Service considers the Library to be an interested party make it impossible for the Library to enter directly into such transactions. For the donor’s benefit, it is the policy of the Library not to be become involved in matters relating to the appraisal of donated materials.
- The donor should make arrangements directly with an appraiser. The Library may help to identify an appraiser.
- The Library will acknowledge receipt of gifts by letter.
- If the donor is seeking a tax deduction for a gift to the Library, the gift(s) must be made to the College President. The donor must complete an In-Kind Donation Checklist and attach a list of the materials being offered. The President will accept the gift upon the recommendation of the Director of College Libraries.
- If the gift to the Library is for the College Archives the donor must complete a signed release form transferring title to the College.
4. Retention and Disposal of Donated Material:
- The Library has the right to retain or dispose of donated materials as collection demands dictate.
- Donated collections are integrated into the Library’s collections.
- Bookplates identifying the donor may be placed in those items retained by the Library and a gift note may be included in the cataloguing record for the material.