Projects and Works
Fletcher Steele and the Fletcher Steele Collection at ESF
While Steele created over 700 gardens, most of them have since been altered or destroyed due to changing owners and popular tastes. Only two gardens remain open to the public, Naumkeag and Mission House, both in Stockbridge, MA.
His client listing includes some of the most influential people of the period. Though he was associated mainly with larger scale site design, Steele was also commissioned to do some public works and smaller gardens.
The following are some of his more important works:
- Ethan Allen, North Andover, MA
- John and Nora Towne, Mount Kisco, NY
- Samuel and Katherine Sloan (Lisburne Grange), Garrison, NY
- Charles and Edith Clifford, Milton, MA
- Angelica Gerry (Ancrum House), Lake Delaware, Delhi, NY
- Mabel Choate (Naumkeag), Stockbridge, MA
- Standish Backus, Grosse Pointe Shores, MI
- Charlotte Whitney Allen, Rochester, NY
- Helen Ellwanger, Rochester, NY
- Nancy and Richard Turner, Pittsford, NY