Dr. Chuck Spuches
Chuck Spuches is Associate Provost for Outreach at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF), and an adjunct associate professor in the Syracuse University graduate program in Instructional Design, Development, and Evaluation.
Recent ESF Outreach team projects include:
- ESF in the High School, a school/college collaboration program with partnerships throughout Central New York and Rochester, and New York City;
- An expanded faculty-driven continuing professional education initiative;
- Continuing professional education certificate programs in the areas of Engineering Design, Bioprocess Engineering, Indoor Environmental Quality, and Renewable Energy supported, in part, by a U.S. Department of Labor grant;
- The ESF Science Corps, established with support from a National Science Foundation grant; and
- ESF SCIENCE (summer camps investigating ecology in neighborhood and city environments) supported, in part, by a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency grant.
In addition to his administrative duties, Spuches teaches traditional classroom and online courses on educational project management, planned change and innovation, college teaching, and university outreach.
Recent Workshops and Presentations
- Spuches, C., M. Wakefield & R. Beal (2008). Responding to the Green Imperative Through Community and Collaboration (PDF). Continuing Education Association of New York (CEANY) Annual Conference. Verona, New York.
- Kingma, B., C. Spuches, L. Bennett, and R. Wright. (2008). Campus community Engagement: Opportunities to Connect with Central New York Universities and Colleges. Sixth Annual Best Practices for Non-profits Seminar.
- Spuches, C. (2008). Developing the Green Pipeline through Regional Educational Partnerships. Green Collar Jobs panel presentation/discussion, H. Ehrenreich, L. Cleckner, L. Sealy, F. Caliva. Accelerate 2008: New Ideas in Technology, Manufacturing, Energy and the Environment.
- SUNY ESF: Sustainability Commitment: Energy, Environment, Economic Development and Education. SUNY and Sustainability: Transformational Opportunities Conference.
- SUNY ESF: Commitment to Sustainability. Onondaga Community College Fall Campus Forum: Sustainability at Onondaga Community College panel presentation/discussion.
- ESF SCIENCE partnership with Catholic Charities & Kids Win! Catholic Charities’ Kids WIN! Advisory Board.
- Stewards of Syracuse: An ESF SCIENCE partnership with CNY WORKS and Syracuse Parks and Recreation. CNY WORKS Board of Directors.
- Stepping Up to the STEM Challenge (panel discussion). Accelerate 2007: New Ideas in Technology, Manufacturing, Energy and the Environment.
- Faculty-driven Outreach: A Presentation to the ESF Emeriti Professors (2007)
- Spuches, C., Beal, R., Wall, D., Weis, S., & Wood, M. (2006). Change through Collaboration: Opportunities, Challenges and Lessons Learned. Continuing Education Association of New York annual conference.
- Taking Stock of Change. Syracuse University Chancellor’s and Vice Chancellor’s Office Staff. Syracuse, N.Y.
- Doughty, P., D. Hart, C. Spuches (2005). Change Management. New York State Association for Computers and Technologies in Education (NYSCATE): Technology Leadership Summit. Albany, N.Y
- Reflecting Critically (and Together) on Change. SUNY Upstate Medical University, College of Medicine, Department of Family Medicine Faculty Development session. Syracuse, N.Y.
- Remembering What We Know About Learning. Fifth Biennial Conference for Academic Libraries in New York State: Assessment: Measuring Services and Resources in Academic Libraries. Syracuse, N.Y.
- Spuches, C., Beal, R., Busa, H., & Hennigan, T. (2002, 2001). Ensuring Your Success Through Mentoring and Professional Development. Central New York Education Consortium, Professional Partnerships in Education: A Program for New Faculty.
Recent articles and book chapters:
- Wademan, M.R., Spuches, C.M., & Doughty, P.L. (2007). The People Capability Maturity Model: Its Approach and Potential to Improve Workforce Performance. Performance Improvement Quarterly, International Society for Performance Improvement: Silver Springs, Maryland, 20(1), 97-123.
- Spuches, C.M., P.J. Gray, D.J. Raynal, S.S. Shannon (2006). A Planned Change Perspective on Faculty-Driven General Education Assessment. Assessment Update. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Diamond R. M. and Spuches, C. M. (2002). Building on style for more effective results. In R. M. Diamond (Ed.), Field Guide to Academic Leadership (Chapter Six). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Spuches, C.M. (2002). Teachers and Scholars as Designers: The Art and Practice of Instructional Design. Essays on Teaching Excellence, 13(8), A publication of The Professional and Organizational Development Network in Higher Education.
- Spuches, C.M. (2000). Focusing on process to improve learning: A case study of instructional research and development. Innovative Higher Education.