Summer Camps Investigating Ecology in Neighborhood and City Environments
Summer Opportunities for Students!
The ESF SCIENCE Summer Program is looking for undergraduate and graduate students for Summer 2017. Read the job descriptions (Undergraduate & Graduate) to learn more and apply by completeting and returing the application!
Contact Jacob O'Connell (email@example.com or 315-470-4705) with any questions!
The 2016 Camp Season has officially started! We would like to thank First Niagara for providing financial support for the 2016 ESF SCIENCE Program.
- Check out these thank you notes from Franklin Elementary School's visit to campus (14-June-2016)
The 2015 ESF SCIENCE Program including the SEO Scholars Branching Out Camp were made possible in part, through financial support from:
- NY State Department of Education Smart Scholars Early College High School Grant
- TD Charitable Foundation
- Cuse Car of Syracuse
- Solvay Bank
- Vita DeMarchi
- William B. Kuhl
Summer 2015 Highlights
In summer 2015, the ESF SCIENCE program served 80 Syracuse City youth during 5 weeks of camp, an additional 70 youth through single day programs, and 19 students from New York City high schools during an overnight week on campus. Partners for camp weeks included the Syracuse City School District, the City of Syracuse Department of Parks, Recreation, & Youth, The Southwest Community Center, Syracuse Academy of Science Charter School, and Sponsors for Educational Opportunities (SEO) Scholars Program. The summer 2015 Science Corps was made possible in part through financial support through a NY State Department of Education Smart Scholars Early College High School Program with the Syracuse City School District.
The 2015 summer camps included a week with Nottingham High School, a SCSD Smart Scholars, Early College High Schools that ESF is working with through the SCSD's two NY State Department of Education Grants. The summer program with Nottingham helps build interest in science and the students from Nottingham can explore science further and earn credits from SUNY-ESF through the ESF in the High School Program during the school year.
A new partnership this year with the SEO Scholars brought 19 high school students from New York City to spend a week at ESF working with the Science Corps. The SEO Scholars stayed in Centennial Hall and participated in a week of ESF SCIENCE activities that took place on campus, as well as at Elmwood Park, Green Lakes State Park, and Onondaga Lake Park. Their visit was sponsored by TD Charitable Foundation, Cuse Car of Syracuse, Solvay Bank, Vita DeMarchi and William B. Kuhl.
This year's SCIENCE program highlights included fish surveys in Onondaga Lake, entomology, alternative energy projects, stream ecology, invasive species education and removal at Green Lakes State Park, GPS, and GIS mapping.
The ESF SCIENCE summer camp program achieves several of the targets outlined by the College's Vision 2020: A Better World Through Environmental Discovery and exposes Syracuse middle school students to science and environmental education. ESF SCIENCE, situated in local green spaces such as Elmwood Park and the Onondaga Creek corridor, helps students be more aware of urban environmental issues and motivates them to become involved in determining the outcomes of environmental problem solving. In addition, students are involved in service-learning projects that promote environmental stewardship, as students take pride in maintaining and improving the environment for their communities. Students learn in local green spaces that are relevant to their lives, a critical key for cultivating and sustaining interest in science during the middle school years and beyond. Our goal is to enrich student science learning using inquiry, experiential, and critical thinking approaches in the urban environment.
ESF SCIENCE News
- Read and watch NYC Students Learn Hands-On Science- Literally, from ESF Communications 8/27/2015
- Listen to NYC Students Get Up Close with Fish, Bugs, Nature in CNY Science Program, from WAER 8/14/2015
- Watch New York City Students Look Forward to Getting Outdoors at SUNY-ESF Camp, from Time Warner Cable News 8/11/2015
- Read Outside the City, Urban Students Focus on Environment, from Newswise 8/5/2015
- Watch Students participate in science camp, from TWC News 8/8/2012
- Read Students get hands-on experience at ESF Science Camp, from the Post Standard 7/15/10
- Watch High school students get their feet wet with free science camp, from YNN 7/14/10
- Read A Different Way to Learn, from the Post Standard, 8/6/09
- Read Izaak Walton League Active with Lake Fishing Events, from The Post-Standard, 1/22/09
- Watch SUNY-ESF S.C.I.E.N.C.E. Camp, from The Post-Standard/Syracuse.com, 7/23/08
- Read Backyard Science, from The Post-Standard, 7/23/08
- Read "Something Fishy" Brings Teens to Onondaga Lake,
from The Post-Standard, 6/5/08 [Photos from the event]
- ESF Science Corps and Girls Inc. of CNY Research Pollution at Elmwood Park,
- Read Science Lessons, from The Post-Standard, 8/8/07
- Read Turning over a Wasteland, from The Post-Standard, 7/10/07
- Read Expanding the Environment, from The Post-Standard, 8/6/06