Join us Tuesday, May 19, 2015!
ESF Outreach & Syracuse City School District proudly present
2015 ESF Environmental Challenge
Science Fair and Career Exploration for 7th & 8th grade students
Tuesday, May 19, 2015 in the SU Carrier Dome and ESF Campus.
Volunteers and Judges are needed. Without the help of over 100 volunteers, this event could not be possible. Email Maura Stefl to sign up.
The Environmental Challenge is a science fair and career exploration opportunity designed especially for all Syracuse City School District seventh and eighth grade students. Photo: Amanda Imundo
Environmental Challenge encourages:
- Student projects that support and extend 7/8th grade science curriculum
- Student research, scientific inquiry, and critical thinking
- Students to begin exploring science and science-related careers
- Students to explore and understand the urban environment and its relationship to the global environment
- Eligible students to participate in the Greater Syracuse Scholastic Science Fair
Rules and Guidelines to Follow:
- Projects should conform to ISEF rules regarding HUMAN SUBJECTS, VERTEBRATE ANIMALS, POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS BIOLOGICAL AGENTS, and HAZARDOUS CHEMICALS, ACTIVITIES or DEVICES. http://www.societyforscience.org/isef/rulesandguidelines
- The ISEF forms are not required unless projects fall into non-exempt areas of the categories above. ESF Outreach recommends avoiding projects requiring an Institutional Review Board (IRB) for Human Subjects or a Scientific Review Committee (SRC) for Vertebrate Animals, Potentially Hazardous Biological Agents, and Hazardous Chemicals, Activities or Devices.
- Schools are responsible for all student projects the require IRB and SRC review under ISEF rules. ESF Outreach is unable to review or support projects and the IRB/SRC process.
- Projects that entail combustion of any sort are strongly discouraged. There should be no demonstrations of combustion/flammability at the Science Fair; it will result in immediate disqualification and confiscation of materials.
- No liquids or food items should be brought along with projects. (Carrier Dome field rule)
Teachers and Student Information: Monday, April 13, 2015 deadline for registration submission.
- Rules and Guidelines and Suggestions for Successful Projects (PDF)
- Science Project Planning Sheet (PDF)
- Environmental Challenge Rubric (criteria) (PDF)
- Registration Forms (school and student forms, download and print PDF)
- Students are encouraged to also present their projects at the 2015 CNY Science & Engineering Fair on March 22, 2015
Volunteer Judge Information
Take the opportunity to influence the lives of young scientists! The encouragement and interest shown by volunteer judges is an essential part of the Challenge experience. Co-sponsorships, recognized on our website and printed materials, are available for organizations with groups of 3 or more judges.
Special Thanks to our 2013 Co-Sponsors:
Alpha Chi Sigma
For more information
ESF Outreach (315) 470-6817 or email Brandon Murphy firstname.lastname@example.org