Quantification and Valuation of Ecosystem Services: A SUNY Conversation in the Disciplines
Date: Monday, November 23, 2009
Location: Alumni Lounge (Nifkin), Marshall Hall, SUNY-ESF
Hosted by: The SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY-ESF)
Online Registration is closed. Professional & Faculty Rate: $35; Student Rate: $10.
This conference was part of the State University of New York’s “Conversations in the Disciplines.” "Conversations" funds intercampus conferences which bring together State University faculty and visiting scholars to examine new trends, review promising findings, and better acquaint them with professional developments in their fields and on other campuses. By such interchange, both the professional and personal growth of individuals and the programs of instruction and research at participating campuses are enhanced.
The goals of the proposed program are:
- To gather key scholars from SUNY and other research institutions along to engage in a facilitated interdisciplinary exchange on recent research and advances in ecosystem services quantification and valuation;
- To prioritize a research agenda for quantification and valuation of ecosystem services that builds on existing research;
- To develop an initial set of guidelines for decision makers for practical application of valuing ecosystem services; and
- To establish a statewide network of scholars who would continue to extend the conversation theme into the future through shared forums, curricular development, collaborative research and public service.
Program Schedule Overview
|8:30 am||Registration and light refreshments|
|9:00 am||Welcome and overview of the day – Dr. Valerie Luzadis|
|9:05 am||Opening address – Dr. Karin Limburg|
|9:20 am||Welcome -- Dr. Bruce Bongarten, SUNY ESF VP of Academic Affairs and Provost|
|9:30 am||Morning Plenary Session – Current Status of Ecosystem Services Research, Dr. Stuart E.G. Findlay, Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies.|
Small group discussions (groups of 8-10, with one key participant facilitating)
Groups will gather on specific topics: Air, Water, Land
Groups will discuss following guiding questions presented by facilitator
Reconvene as full group – Professional Facilitator
This session will provide opportunity for the small groups to share key ideas from their discussions. The resulting ideas will be recorded for the full group and used by the conference leaders and key participants in follow-up work.
|12:30 pm||Lunch is served|
Afternoon Opening Address – Dr. Greg Boyer
Dr. Boyer will briefly move us from the research agenda to the practical needs discussion
|1:45 pm||Afternoon Plenary Session – Practical Applications of Ecosystem Services: Needs of Managers and Decision-Makers -- Edward C. Marx, Commissioner of Planning and Public Works, Tompkins County, NY. He will give an overview of practical needs of managers and decision-makers to effectively use an ecosystem services framework to support conservation.|
Small group discussions (groups of 8-10, with one key participant facilitiator)
Groups gather by specific topic interest: Air, Water, Land
Groups to discuss following guiding questions presented by facilitator
|3:45 pm||Break - Refreshments served|
Reconvene full group – Professional Facilitator
This session will provide opportunity for the small groups to share key ideas from their discussions. The resulting ideas will be recorded for the full group and used by the conference leaders and key participants in follow-up work to articulate an initial set of guidelines for decision-makers and managers to share back with all participants.
|4:45 pm||Summary and Final Comments – Dr. Valerie Luzadis|
Our Payment Policy
We welcome your participation at Outreach events. Pre-registered, pre-paid registrants are asked to sign in to receive a name badge and handouts. Registration fees must be paid prior to admittance.
- Balance due? Please be prepared to make your payment at sign in. We will accept a check, RF account, VISA or MasterCard.
- Using a State or Research Foundation Purchase Order or Voucher? Please provide the PO/Voucher number as well as a credit card number. If payment is not received within 30 days after the event, your credit card will be charged the appropriate fee.