SUNY Sustainability: A Climate Changes Solution Curriculum
Programs & Initiatives
- Dr. Robert Malmsheimer (PI), Associate Professor, Forest and Natural Resources Management, SUNY ESF
- Dr. David Johnson (Co-PI), Professor, Chemistry, SUNY ESF
- Dr. Lindi Quackenbush (Co-PI), Assistant Professor, Environmental Resources Engineering, SUNY ESF
- Dr. Chuck Spuches (Co-PI), Associate Provost for Outreach, SUNY ESF
- Dr. Richard Beal (Co-PI), Assistant Dean, Educational Outreach and Credit Programs, SUNY ESF
- Judy Crawford, Project consultant
- Dr. Deborah Storrings, Project consultant, Landscape Architecture, Landscape Architecture
- Dave Eichorn, Research Project Assistant and Instructor
- Brandon Murphy, Project Coordinator, SUNY ESF Outreach
Addressing the inherent challenges of climate change means building a climate literate citizenry. Educational efforts will require new curriculum elements and delivery systems, characterized by a climate change curriculum that is imperative, integrative, and interdisciplinary. Our project seeks to create new courses and public education resources focused on global climate change science with a particular emphasis on a meteorological perspective. A hypothesis central to the curriculum development is that a one credit web-based course provides essential ingredients can serve as the basis for further organizing a variety of credit and non-credit undergraduate, graduate student, and continuing professional education programs. Additional programs including a series of short videos available to the public on selected topics from the one credit course and tied with current events will reach a broader audience, and a three credit web-based course can provide greater breadth and depth of content.
Dates: 2009 – 2011
- A Web-based distributed learning program that serves undergraduate student learning throughout the State University of New York (SUNY) system and other students, educators and professionals throughout the US.
- Short educational videos via Youtube and iTunes U on select climate change topics.
- A course (Climate Change Science and Sustainability, ESC 296) and videos that incorporate NASA’s web-based spatial and temporal climate change resources as the basis of core learning activities.