2010-11 Programs & Activities
- 2011 Center State CEO Business Idea Competition
(high school & college division)
- Prepare for the 2011 Business Idea Competition through a free webinar—December 7, 2010
- Register TBD
- Great Green Ideas that can Change the World
March 24, 2011
- Introduction to Green Entrepreneurship
(3-credit course for rising high school seniors)
July 25 - July 29, 2011
The following are resources and references on sustainability and green business:
- Inside ESF
Check out page 22 for an inside look at one of ESF’s entrepreneurs, Greg Boyd
- Young People Want to Be Their Own Boss to Realize Their Ideas
"According to the results, four out of 10 young people age 8 to 21 would like to start their own business in the future."
- Thomas Friedman, NY Times:The New Untouchables
"...those who have the ability to imagine new services, new oppportunities and new ways to recruit work were being retained. They are the new untouchables."
- Syracuse makes list for lifestyle, business and 100 Best Places to Live and Launch
SUNY-ESF recognized for renewable energy as one of Syracuse's strongest industries
- Not Just for Tree Huggers
"Despite the free fall in housing prices nationwide, green homes are still red hot."
- The 100-Page Start-Up Plan – Don’t Bother
"...a growing body of research suggests that some entrepreneurs spend way too long polishing 50- or 100-page business plans when they should be out in the marketplace selling their product or service."
- The Growth Industry
"Business schools are teaching entrepreneurs how to get rich helping to save the environment."
- It's Hip to Be Green
"For today's young people, fixing the environment is job one. And they have their own ideas about how to do it."
- 45 Social Entrepreneurs Who are Changing the World
"Change the world. Make some money. It's an appealing prospect. Nonprofits were born because for-profits weren't addressing some market failures..."
- Green Collar Jobs
"Green collar jobs represent an important new category of work force opportunities because they are relatively high quality jobs, with relatively low barriers to entry, in sectors that are poised for dramatic growth. "
- Alex Steffen: Inspired ideas for a sustainable future
"As Western-style consumerism spreads to developing countries, we must re-imagine our world."
- The New Heroes
"Also known as 'social entrepreneurs,' they develop innovations that bring life-changing tools and resources to people desperate for viable solutions."
"Biomimicry...is a new science that studies nature's best ideas and then imitates these designs and processes to solve human problems."
- Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World
"...lessons gleaned from life on a farm...a herd of hungry pigs attacks a mound of damaged plastic yogurt cups, devours the contents and teaches Hirschberg nature's idea of recycling."
- Harvard Business Review on Green Business Strategy
"Green Business Strategy is no longer an option; the future depends on it."
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE)
"AASHE is an association of colleges and universities in the U.S. and Canada working to create a sustainable future."
This project is a collaboration between the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) and CenterState CEO, with support, in part, from a NYS Department of Labor grant led by CNY Works and a Kauffman Foundation Partnership Grant led by Syracuse University.