Joint BS/MD Program for High School Students
SUNY-ESF & SUNY Upstate Medical University (SUNY-UMU)
This program addresses the shortage of physicians in rural communities of New York State. There is evidence that people who grow up in rural communities or who trained there will later return to set up medical practice in a rural setting. This program will also attempt to provide a more diverse student population for entry into physician training programs. Acceptance into this program indicates willingness to participate in the Rural Medical Scholars Program (RMSP). Students who enroll in this program will be assigned to the RMSP track as a medical student at SUNY Upstate Medical University.
Interested students who have been admitted to SUNY-ESF for freshman entry and meet the minimum criteria outlined below may apply for the Joint BS/MD program. Those nominated by the SUNY-ESF Selection Committee will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee at SUNY-UMU and, if selected for consideration, will be required to participate in an on-campus interview at SUNY-UMU. The SUNY-UMU Admissions Committee selects candidates for the Joint BS/MD program.
Minimum criteria for consideration:
- Open to New York State residents only
- Must be admitted as freshman to SUNY-ESF with a minimum of 90 cumulative grade point average (as calculated by the SUNY-ESF Admissions Office) for overall high school performance as well as science and mathematics performance, and 1250 SAT (Critical Reading + Math) or 28 ACT Composite scores. The high school program of study must be college preparatory in focus and include a minimum of 4 units each of college preparatory science and mathematics.
- The recommended filing date for the SUNY-ESF admissions application and all credentials is January 1 to allow for an admissions decision to be made by the February 1 deadline for application or nomination to the Joint BS/MD program. Applicants should include a note in their admission application materials expressing interest in the Joint BS/MD program.
- May be admitted in any program of study at SUNY-ESF
- Preference will be given to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- From a rural county*
- Completed additional units of science and mathematics and/or higher level courses in high school (e.g. honors, AP, IB or college level coursework)
- Considered educationally and/or economically disadvantaged or from backgrounds which makes it unlikely they would compete for admission to medical school through traditional routes
- Completed extra-curricular activities which demonstrate some experience in a health care setting and a commitment to service work
- Submit the application for freshman admission to SUNY-ESF, all required application credentials and written notification (mail or email) of interest in the Joint BS/MD program to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions no later than January 15.
- If admitted, the candidate will be sent the Joint BS/MD application materials which must completed and returned to the SUNY-ESF Director of Undergraduate Admissions postmarked no later than February 15.
- Detailed information on the Joint BS/MD program and application procedures (PDF)
For more information on the Joint BS/MD for High School Students, contact:
Director of Undergraduate Admissions
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210