Pre-law at ESF
ESF offers pre-professional advising to students interested in pursuing law as a profession.
Unlike some other professional programs, law schools do not require or recommend a specific program of study or specific coursework. Instead, the Law School Admissions Council advises students who are interested in the legal profession to pursue undergraduate education that demonstrates success in intellectually challenging curricula that enhance students’ critical thinking skills.
The ESF pre-law program helps students understand the opportunities in environmental law and develop a law school application package that demonstrates to law schools their true potential. The program is based primarily on individual pre-law advising between the student and Dr. Robert Malmsheimer, ESF’s Pre-law advisor.
This website is designed to provide ESF students with some of the information they need to know to attend law school. If you are a student considering attending ESF for the undergraduate degree you need before you can attend law school, click HERE.
If you are an ESF student interested in law school, you need to know that the ESF Pre-law program is based upon students’ academic progress. As students progress through their ESF careers, the intensity of the program increases and students have more responsibilities. The following links give you information on the Prelaw Program and lists of tasks that you need to complete each year:
- The ESF Pre-law Program for Freshmen and Sophomores
- The ESF Pre-law Program for Juniors
- The ESF Pre-law Program for Seniors
The following links provide more information on Pre-law Topics:
- Law Schools Admissions: Information on how law schools evaluate your academic record and law school enrollment.
- LSAT and LSAC: Learn about the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT) and the Law School Admissions Council (LSAC).
- Law School Information: Information on law school curriculum and financial aid.
- The ESF Law School Connection: Learn which law schools have accepted recent ESF students and what law schools they have attended.
- Recommended Readings: Books and other resources on the LSAT and Law Schools recommended by ESF students.
- ESF’s Prelaw Advisor: More information about Dr. Robert Malmsheimer, ESF’s Pre-law Advisor.
Other Pre-law Internet resources:
- Internet Legal Resource Guide's Pre-Law Student Services: contains a comprehensive listing of links to relevant information for students considering law school. This is a great site that discusses every aspect of the application process.
Amanda Knapp (‘03), Rebecca Salm (‘03), and Eldon Harmon (‘01) provided substantial contributions to this website.
- Pre-law Home
- Welcome: ESF and Environmental Law
- Pre-law for Freshmen & Sophomores
- Pre-law for Juniors
- Pre-law for Seniors
- Law Schools Admissions
- LSAT and LSAC
- Law School Information
- The ESF Law School Connection
- Recommended Readings
- ESFs Prelaw Advisor
If you would like to learn more about these opportunities and identify yourself as a pre-professional student, please fill out our online inquiry form: