Ranger School Centennial
During the 2012-2013 academic year, the SUNY-ESF Ranger School celebrated its 100th anniversary.
The Ranger School began in 1912 as a part of the New York State College of Forestry in Syracuse. The first students arrived in August of that year, and the first class graduated in December of 1913. The vision for the Ranger School of long-time director James F. Dubuar was "to train men to fill the gap between the average woodsman and the professional forester."
Through the years the School has evolved to fulfill this vision and so much more. In addition to its Forest Technology Program, a Surveying program was added in 1995, and a program in Environmental and Natural Resource Conservation began in the fall of 2011.
The Ranger School: A Century in the Forest is available! This book is a compilation of essays and articles from the storied history of the Ranger School. Find out how the Ranger School came to be, how the school has evolved over the years, and dream about what the future might bring. The list of authors includes James Dubuar, Kerm Remele, Jim Coufal and Chris Westbrook.
The book is available for purchase!
Below is a preview of the front and back cover.
Centennial in the News
Professor Michael Bridgen is developing an archival collection of important artifacts from Ranger School history. Located in the School's library, the Centennial Room has a computer and storage capacity for multiple types of documents and items. There is also a web page showing photographs and documents from Ranger School classes. Visit it at http://www.flickr.com/photos/rangerscool/collections. If you wish to contribute photographs, documents or other items to the webpage or the Centennial Room, please contact Dr. Bridgen directly.
Ariane Tanski (Class of 2009) created a map of the Dubuar Forest. Follow this link for a printable version of this map that will help you enjoy the trails of this great educational and recreational resource.
Renowned artist and muralist Barry Nehr (Class of 1960) has painted a mural on the back wall of our main classroom.
"Built to Last"
Professor Jamie Savage created this presentation in 2003 when a six million dollar addition and renovation project was completed at the Ranger School. It has great information about the history of the school.