Dr. Gregory L. Boyer
2009 Exemplary Researcher Award Recipient
We are very pleased to announce that Dr. Gregory L. Boyer, Professor in the Department of Chemistry, was selected among several highly qualified candidates to receive the College's Exemplary Researcher Award. This College-level award recognizes a successful, currently active researcher with exemplary research activity, publication record and graduate/undergraduate student research program.
- Dr. Boyer has built a thriving research program since arriving at ESF in 1985 from the University of British Columbia, where he was a Research Associate. He is broadly educated (Reedley College, CA, A.S.; University of California, Berkeley, A.B.; University of Wisconsin, Madison, Ph.D.) Examples of his research program include restoration of Great Lake fish communities, implementation of the Great Lakes observing systems and his most well-known research for NOAA's MERHAB project. The goals of MERHAB are to develop and integrate alert systems to monitor and detect toxic cyanobacteria blooms in the lower Great Lakes.
- Dr. Boyer has been an author on more than 100-peer reviewed articles in journals including Journal of Great Lakes Research, Science and Hydrobiology, with 20 new publications since 2004.
- Dr. Boyer has been involved with an industry-based partnership to develop near-real-time water quality monitoring systems. The objectives of this program focus on the design, fabrication and testing of biosensors for drinking water protection. It is envisioned that the collaboration with local firms will provide the basis for new economic growth in the CNY region.
- Since 2004, Dr. Boyer has directed 6 PhD and 2 M.S. dissertations, has been the primary advisor to 8 graduate students, 3 who currently work in his lab along with a research staff of 3 and several undergraduate students.
- In 2003, Dr. Boyer received the SUNY Research Foundation award for Excellence in the Pursuit on Knowledge and in 2005 received the SUNY-ESF award for Integrating Outreach Activities with Teaching and Research.
This award, which is made annually, includes a calendar-year tuition scholarship and graduate assistantship at the PhD stipend level; and a $5,000 research account. Dr. Boyer will present a campus-wide research seminar highlighting his work in the coming academic year.
Congratulations to Greg Boyer on this well-deserved honor!
Exemplary Archive Links
2017 Exemplary Researcher
- Dr. Stephen Stehman - 2016
- Dr. Georgios Mountrakis - 2015
- Dr. Charles Maynard & Dr. William Powell - 2014
- Dr. Thomas Amidon - 2013
- Dr. Kimberly Schulz - 2012
- Dr. Christopher Nomura 2011
- Dr. Karin E. Limburg 2010
- Dr. Gregory L. Boyer 2009
- Dr. James Gibbs 2008
- Dr. David J. Kieber 2007
- Dr. Myron J. Mitchell 2006